Chapter 12: The Candle at the Library

The Candle had just started to doze in the back of the chapel, when Lord Dilluther finished his prayers and stood. Although Dilluther was a knight, and admirable in his devotion, he wore the secular emblems of the Imperial army on his black tunic. The Candle pushed himself heavily up from the bench as the old knight walked toward him, his strides still long and his back still straight. The Candle gave a slight bow, which Dilluther returned.

"Good morning to you, Elder General," the Candle said, unsmiling, "I hope you might do me the honor of taking your breakfast with me."

The Candle had never felt that Lord Dilluther liked him particularly, but the Elder General respected the Candle's station. Neither man made frivolous social calls, and so the Elder General nodded without hesitation. The Candle had a carriage waiting and, knowing that the Elder General maintained the ascetic habits of the knighthood, he directed his driver to a pleasant cafe with simple food and excellent tea. He made a nominal effort to exchange pleasantries on the ride, and was relieved when they lapsed into silence. Dilluther pulled back his curtains and watched the street solemnly. He appeared fit and well-rested, the Candle noted with a touch of jealousy.

Only after they had been shown to their seats in the cafe, in the Candle's customary private room, and they had been served their tea, did Dilluther ask, "What concerns you this morning, Your Holiness?"

He pronounced the title respectfully and without enthusiasm.

Dilluther had little use for subtlety, a trait which the Candle alternatively admired and despised, so the Candle asked him simply if he was aware of the Order of Learned Children of Old Blood.

Dilluther shook his head.

The Candle explained, "The members of this order have undertaken to preserve all manners of heretical rites and philosophies. They claim to practice sorcery."

"Why are they allowed to operate?" The Elder General asked. He did not seem overly concerned, and in this he was not alone. Only the oldest, most devout, citizens spared any worry for sorcerers these days. The rest of the population considered such concerns quaint, if not ludicrous.

The Elder General did not fidget, but his eyes frequently left the Candle's face to make a circuit of the room, at intervals that were probably exactly even. Now he watched somebody approaching their table. The Candle sipped his tea silently as the serving man set a plate of biscuits between them and withdrew immediately.

The Candle took a biscuit and pondered it while he spoke. "Their membership is secret. There seem to be factions within the organization that are at odds with one another. I used to believe that if they pose any threat, it is only to one another. Now, it seems that their influence extends much further than I had imagined— further than can be tolerated. Far enough to direct the Hidden Guard to arrest and execute a man."

"Only a handful of people know of the Hidden Guard," Dilluther said, raising an eyebrow. The Candle could not recall ever seeing him so expressive.

"Yes," the Candle said, "and one of them is a traitor."

Dilluther thought this over for a long moment and the Candle took the opportunity to take a couple large bites of his biscuit.

Eventually, Dilluther asked with a frown, "What evidence do you have?"

"None," the Candle admitted. "Mardis Dantley confirmed that the man was arrested and executed, and that he did not order it. I bring this to you because your loyalty is beyond reproach." In his faith, his loyalty to the Empire, and his devotion to his family, the Elder General was steadfast in a way that is unique to those who have no imagination.