Chapter 13: Berekker Conducts Business

"South of the Siltian peninsula there is a stretch of sea where the winds do not blow and the currents die. In these becalmed waters, ancient ships with long dead crews drift endlessly, preserved in the salty air. Some say that beyond these doldrums lie fantastic new continents, others say the end of the world, but they agree that this place is death for a mariner."

"I have heard tell of such a place," Berekker said.

"I have seen it."

Berekker looked across the table at the navigator, Allitolae. He was pompous, to be sure, but by all accounts his confidence was not undeserved. He looked every inch a Siltian seaman, with bright ribbons braided into his black oiled hair, a sash stitched heavily with family icons and commendations from Siltian nobles, and a narrow, blood red scabbard fastened across his back. Nevermind that Siltian seamen had not dressed that way for a century.

Allitolae opened the pouch that Berekker had offered him and bit one of the coins thoughtfully. He unfastened a map case from his belt and pressed a vellum sheet proudly against the table. Berekker went to unlock a cabinet, and took his time examining the host of scroll cases that it contained. He selected one case and left the door open for Allitolae to ponder. He saw the navigator's eyes drift back to that cabinet every so often, and smiled inwardly. He went around the table and unrolled his map beside Allitolae's.

"You drew this yourself?" Berekker asked.

"Yes," Allitolae proclaimed, stroking his long mustaches, and asked, "From whom did you purchase yours?"

"I drew it," Berekker said, flatly.

Berekker's eyes moved rapidly back and forth between the two maps. Allitolae's was more extensive and more skillfully drawn. Still, his own map was the best he had seen up until that point, and the navigator seemed to be sizing him up anew.

"You are certain that these reefs end a mile off the coast?" Berekker asked.

"I have run the course myself."

Berekker dipped his quill and corrected his chart, before asking, "And this small island here?"

"Uninhabited, but very beautiful. There is a volcano rising from the center of it and it is surrounded by the clearest waters you have ever seen."

Berekker added the island to his map, and filled in a portion of the Siltian coastline that he had previously left undrawn. Then he straightened and aksed, "You have sailed to the Far East?"

"I have sailed there on four occassions. Last year, I made it there and back in two months."

"And you have contacts there?"

"I have dined at the tables of the Lord Mothers of three different Houses. I have drawn blades against the Mist Corsairs beside Eithe Shan, of the famed Shan Company, and he has called me his brother."

"How reliable are your charts of that area?"

"They are the best in your country or mine."

There was a quiet knock at the door, and Janieu entered with two cups and a long-spouted tea pot that had belonged to the niece of Tyrus the Undying. He filled their cups wordlessly and withdrew.

Berekker breathed deeply from his cup, and said, "I am satisfied. Are you certain there will be no trouble with your former employer?"

"I owe him nothing, and he fears Paya Gandro, who is strong in Port-of-All-Seas. I will offer him a chance to match your terms, but he cannot. There will be no trouble."