Meet Vanessa

Y/N walked through the front door into his house. Max was asleep on the couch. She began to wake up when Y/N entered. The young man hung his things up on the coat rack.

Max: Hey.

Y/N: Hey, Max.

Y/N walked into the living room and sat down in the reclining chair. He stared off, lost in thought.

Max: So? How'd it go?

Y/N: Uh... It was interesting.

Max saw their conversation was going nowhere. Y/N continued to stare off into space.

Max: I should probably get out of here. 

Y/N: Hey, by the way, I... I do intend on paying you, eventually.

Max: It's okay. I know where you live.

Y/N grinned a bit at her joke and then went back to his thoughts. When Max left, Y/N went into Abby's room. He saw her sleeping peacefully. She was holding on to a stuffed bear. Y/N gently moved a strand of her brown hair out of her eyes. He smiled to himself upon seeing her. He then turned and went back to his thoughts again.

Later, Max met up with some friends in a parking lot outside the Dollar General. She walked over to Jeff who was leaning against his old truck. His father, Hank, was working on the engine. Carl, one of Max's other friends, sat in the back of the truck.

Max: Hey.

Jeff: Hey. How'd it go?

Max: Same as usual. 

Jeff: He still not pay you yet?

She shook her head.

Carl: Girl, you need to find something better. At this point you're a stay-at-home mom.

Jeff: Besides, without you, that jackass would probably have to actually do something. It'd be better for the state to come in and separate 'em. Maybe then he'll learn to watch his attitude.

Max: I mean, he's trying. He's got a new job.

Jeff: Great. Third one of the year. What's this one?

Max: It's some old pizza place.

Hank walked over to where they were talking. He had a greying beard and silver hair tied back in a ponytail. 

Hank: Pizza place? Which one?

Max: It's some long abandoned trash heap with furry mascots.

Hank's expression changed. He became stern and the humor in his eyes went dark.

Hank: Where?

Later in the evening, Y/N was jumping up and down on his bed. He was trying to reach the Nebraska poster on the ceiling. Abby walked in and saw him.

Abby: What are you doing?

Y/N grabbed the side of the poster. He accidentally tore off a large piece of it and fell down on his bed. He looked at it. He could tape it back together.

Y/N: Abby, you need something?

He looked over at her. He noticed she was wearing the security vest he brought home.