Career Counseling

An alarm clock beeped at 6:00 am. The young man sleeping in his bed next to it steadily woke up. He hit the snooze button and rolled out of bed. Still a bit groggy, Y/N rewound the tape that had been playing on his nightstand. He then put away a set of pills into a drawer on his desk.

To get his blood flowing, Y/N began his mourning routine with a set of push ups. He then walked over to his closet and pulled out a set of clothes. He chose a grey button up shirt with a yellow tie. After getting the rest of his clothes on, Y/N stepped out of his room and went into the bedroom next door.

Y/N: Abs, you ready? Abby?

He stepped into the room. Looking over to the side, he saw a small fort set up with blankets and pillows.

Y/N: Abs. Come on. I know you're in there. Let's go.

He looked down at his siter inside the tent. She acted like she was asleep and couldn't hear him. He began to shake the tent to get her attention.

Y/N: Abby, come on.

Abby: Okay, okay.

She crawled out of the tent and looked up at him.

Abby: You're being a jerk. 

Y/N: You know I have somewhere I have to be. Come on. Let's go. Five minutes. I need you dressed. 

He turned to leave the room. As he walked towards the door, he felt a soft teddy bear hit the back of his neck. He turned around and saw Abby crawl back inside the tent. He sighed and looked at her.

 He sighed and looked at her

Y/N: Five minutes.

Y/N sat in the career counselor's office. He knew why he was here. It was all due to a slip up he made during his last job.

A few days earlier...

Y/N was working as a mall security guard. He was talking with his coworker, Jeremiah, and showing him a book he'd been reading. Jeremiah took the book and decided to read a passage from it. It was titled 'Dream Theory'. 

Jeremiah: "And though the dreamer remains asleep, he walks through memory as if experiencing it for the first time anew, no longer a passive but an active participant."

The man put down the book and laughed. He looked at his coworker.

Jeremiah: This stuff for real?

Y/N: Some people think so. Guess it depends on what you believe.

Jeremiah: Summer of '82, I traded a mint condition Cal Ripken Jr. rookie for a used copy of Missile Command. That card's probably worth 800 bucks now. I wish I could participate in that memory and actively kick my own ass.