Soured

"Mother is absolutely furious."

"Could you maybe not interrupt storytime?" Hermione asked, looking up from her bed as Ethel stormed into her room, pacing back and forth while she and Sybil lay on Hermione's bed, feet towards the headboard.

"Well, it's all your fault, Hermione," Ethel said. "If you'd just..." Her stepsister continued pacing. "Just didn't exist..."

"Hey!" Sybil said, her mouth forming a pout.

"But it's true."

Esme came in, waving her wand, muttering a spell that sounded like she was silencing something. "Hey! What are you doing, Ethel?"

"Telling Hermione what for!" Ethel said. "But she shouldn't go to school! She doesn't belong."

"Ethel!" Sybil cried out. "I'm telling!"

"Don't!" Emse let out a deep breath. "At least, not until Mother is done yelling at Father, Sybil."

"No! Dad didn't..."

"Please!" Esme said. "Stay with Hermione, let her read, but I'll tell you when she's done, and you can go give Papa a huge hug, but please! He doesn't want you to hear what's going on."

"What is going on?" Hermione asked. "At least, what can we know?"

Esme sighed, then glanced over at Ethel, who shrugged her shoulders. "Well, for starters, leaving us to get your books. We were supposed to also set a good impression on Lord Black, Esme, and me, you know."

"I don't know."

"And on top of that, Sybil," Ethel hissed. "You had to go and make everyone in the bookstore think you're a Mud..."

"Don't!" Esme said, shaking her head. "Don't you dare use that word in front of her."

"She'll have to learn in one day," Ethel snapped. "But Hermione's mother had she used magic, would have been one, but I'm not sure what's less desirable."

"That's enough," Esme said, pointing at the door. "Get out!"

"You can't..."

"I'll tell Mother you've been upsetting Sybil again!"

"You wouldn't!"

"Try me!"

Ethel's eyes widened, and then she stormed out of the room, slamming the door. Hermione frowned. "That bad? Really?"

"Yes, really. She," Ethel took a deep breath. "She really didn't like the way Narcissa Malfoy snubbed her and told her off for not raising you right, or at least right by Mrs. Malfoy's standards. You're fine the way you are, Hermione."

"I guess, but wouldn't that mean she raised me right?"

"No, Papa raised you right," Esme said, going to sit on the bed.

"Esme, what's going on between Mama and Papa?" Sybil asked.

Esme sighed. "You know Mama's not Papa's first wife."

"It's kind of hard to live up to," Hermione said, her eyes drifting towards the bookshelf filled with fairy tales, remembering one too many evil stepmothers in there.

"But why..." Sybil frowned. "Never mind. I don't think I'll ever understand."

"Anyways," Esme said, heading to the door. "I'll open the door again once I know they're done arguing, and you two can go and see Papa. He'll likely retreat to his study."

"Thanks," Hermione said, taking a deep breath and returning to the book until Sybil fell asleep on the bed. Looking up, the door was open again. Slipping from her bed, she picked up a blanket and draped it over her younger sister before heading down the stairs, but Hermione overheard Ursula muttering to herself as she headed to her father's study.