Fairy Godparents

"He's such a prince charming."

Hermione's head turned to look at her stepsister, her thoughts still contemplating the reason behind Ursula's frustrations with them, thinking the woman didn't bother hiding them as she once did. Her head turned, looking at the back of Draco, her eyes blinking. "What?"

Ethel turned to look at her. "He held the door open for us and was most polite on our way over here," her stepsister said, turning to look at Sybil, who'd walked to the robe shop holding Regulus' hand instead of being carried. "Don't you think he's a prince charming, Sybil?"

"I thought you didn't like Muggle fairy tails?"

Hermione held back a laugh, turning to look at Draco as his robe fitting finished, Ethel's eyes fluttering, heading up for her fitting as Hermione remained by Sybil, trying to make herself less noticeable to certain people. Draco leaned up against the wall, his mouth twisting into a smirk. "What's this about me being a prince charming?"

Hermione frowned, then took a deep breath. "What exactly happened between your mother and Ursula?"

"Oh. Uncle Regulus' second wife?" Draco said. "Mother wasn't pleased with how she's managed you."

"Excuse me?" Hermione said, her voice low, not wanting to draw attention to herself. "I don't want more of that if that's what is meant."

"Didn't you hear Mother's comment about your hair?"

"My hair?"

"It's..." Draco started saying.

"My hair," Hermione said firmly, "Is just fine the way it is, thank you very much." He jerked his head to look at her, his jaw dropping, likely not being used to any challenge to how he'd been raised. "But you're not a prince charming, but a beast instead."

"I'm what?"

"'Beauty and the Beast'," Sybil said. "The prince is turned into the beast by the fairy godmother."

"Whatever for?"

"Because he was beastly," Hermione said, leaning forward. "And keep your voice low, Sybil, else Ethel will hear."

"I honestly don't care what she thinks," Draco said, his nose wrinkling slightly as his mouth turned.

"And I don't care what you think of me," Hermione said. "Obviously."

"That..."

"Do you like my hair?" Sybil asked, turning and touching her braids, oblivious to something else going on. "Papa put my hair up."

Draco frowned, then said. "That's what mother was referring to."

"Huh?" Sybil asked.

"Yes, I like your hair, dear cousin," Draco said, putting the charm back on. "I think mother does as well."

Sybil beamed. "I like you too!"

"That's not..."

Hermione glared at Draco, but when he looked up, he stopped. "Which means he hopefully got the idea not to mess with or upset her."

Taking a deep breath, she switched out with Ethel, taking a deep breath, watching the magic go to work when the bell chimed, and a man—

Hermione's eyes blinked, and she saw an instant similarity between her grandfather and father and the way her grandfather tensed and her father. Hermione thought, "Dad looks hopeful."

And then, the man turned. "Hey, James, Remus. Let's come back later. I've seen someone I'd rather not see."

Hermione's mouth opened slightly, watching the pain appear on her father's face, her breath sucking in. "Oh. That..."