Thirteen

Are you a perfect wife for Claude?

You were sure a perfect fit for the tyrant of an emperor, you didn't lack in terms of talent, knowledge, even in sports and combat, you were skilled and full of knowledge. Something that other princesses couldn't compete, a trophy wife for the best emperor among countries. Even your enemies agree that the both of you are compatible with each other.

But why were you still distant from the emperor himself?

"His Majesty should really be having his own life apart from following me around if he is done with his duties" you warily told the blonde male beside you who simply ignored your comment.

His arm was linked to yours as the both of you walked around the garden, "Do you not like it when I follow you around?"

It wasn't that you weren't appreciative of his doings, but he's been clingy ever since that incident and there weren't any servants or nosy nobles around when the both of you hang out. So you were confused at the same time, because you aren't going to allow him to see your vulnerability. There is no way that you'd open up to him.

"I do not understand why you're being nice when there's no one looking at us other than Felix who's watching from a distance."

The blonde man looked down at your figure with his blank expression and sighed, but it wasn't a sigh that meant he was disappointed. Instead it was more of like annoyed, as if telling you to at least loosen up a bit.

"You are my wife" he said "And even if I don't have romantic feelings for you, it is my duty to take care of you after all."

Ah.

Your gaze became gentle at his answer, how lovely that he was trying to take care of you despite not having any romantic feelings for you. It showed how much potential he has ik becoming a good husband. Claude's consideration made your heart flutter in joy, he sure knows how to make you feel better despite being insecure of your stand in this cruel world.

If you didn't know any better, you'd actually think that he has feelings for you. Something that your heart silently hopes, but you ignore it for the sake of your mental and physical health. You were broken enough already, you didn't need another reason to be.

Claude gently lead you to sit on the picnic mat that was prepared by the maids earlier in which you didn't know, so it surprised you when he showed you the area. It was a good way to relax and what's more surprising is that all of this was Claude's idea, who could have known that an emperor like him could pull such things? You never really expected him to do things for you, especially when you're just doing what has to be done as his wife.

"I see that you have taken liking of this picnic set up" he broke the silence once he was sat at the opposite direction of yours, Claude smirked after seeing you scoff at his comment.

"His Majesty sure likes to brag about his ideas" you reply.

The man's smirk didn't fade away at this point, still teasing you like a child. Claude does that often and it was really annoying, but knowing him already for weeks and weeks. There was nothing for you left to be so annoyed with the blonde emperor, he was that way towards you so you just let it be. Like the girl you are.

Claude was nice enough to even take you in this type of bonding with him, it was also a good thing that your own husband is spending time with you rather than entertaining other women. From your peripheral vision, you could also tell that there are some maids sneaking in just to witness the two of you chit chat with grins on their faces.