Chapter Seven

Rodrick's POV:

"You're a little late." Dad calls from his position on the couch as I try to go stealth mode and dart upstairs.
"Oh, met a couple friends." the lie slips before I even register it, but he buys it and nods, eyes still glued to the screen.
Too distracted to reach for me.
I feel a slap of extreme curdling anger in the pit of my stomach. I want to kick him in the back of his head. Do something, because I was high and half-awake and had just cried and he was an asshole. An asshole just to me and it wasn't fair.
"You still standin' there, kid?" he says. I stare a dagger at the dime-sized bald spot on the back of his skull.
"Yeah." I manage.
"Get me a beer from the fridge." he motions with his hand to the fridge. I hand it to him and back away slowly, testing if he was still needing something.

I manage to get to my room before he notes. I finally get the chance to feel what I was supposed to feel in the cold a minute ago. Your fault you sat on the fucking ground.

She's gonna get in too much trouble. I know her, it's all or nothing for her. She thought you wanted to dump her, she's still not processing the fact that you- Yeah, yeah, I know. I get it. I blew out a hard sigh, tuning to look at my brand-new suit.

This is the tie, cuz I don't like the one on the suit, doesn't fit Rodrick

And this is the suit. I have a fetish for red-and-black clad men lmao

Mom cried when I tried it on in the store. I'm sure she'll like it.

But what if we don't go? I let out a groan and slam my face in my pillow. Why is her dad such a dick? Okay, I get that I'm not the best guy around, but I didn't force her to come with me. I asked her out, she said 'totally' so we're cool.

We're supposed to be cool.

'Cept dear ol' dad had to look me up-and-down and say 'nahhhhh'. Dickhead.

I tell Chris and Ben what happened the next day.
"I dunno man...." Chris shrugs, shooting Ben a nervous look.
"What do you mean?" I urge, this was supposed to help sort me out. "I mean...we didn't really see that coming..you two hate each other. And even if you go over it, you're still the punk and she's...." Ben explains, his mouth full of food. No wonder Jodi hates when I do it. "She's... she's like an 80's movie."