Chapter 1

A/N I wanted to try my hand at a rivals-to-lovers musicians AU because I love reading them and I love writing Nico (and Will by proxy). I don't play all the instruments in this fic (I'm a violinist, and know enough piano and guitar to get by) so I hope I've portrayed all the instruments okay, but advice from musicians is welcome. I'll update when I can but no specific schedule, I also don't have a beta reader, please be kind <3

__________________

File Source: Voice Memos

Now playing >>> "Cautious_demo_ANGELxTheSeven.mp3"

<< II >>

00:02:04

____________________

Nico despised elevators.

Well really he hated any enclosed space, but he especially couldn't comprehend why anyone would willingly step into a moving metal death trap. Let alone one that required a keycard to open and close, that was just asking for trouble.

So Nico found himself climbing the stairs from his office to the rehearsal rooms.

He'd managed to clear two hours of his afternoon, no small feat, given the sheer amount of files that had been dumped on his desk, the clients he'd been assigned and his own projects to work on.

He couldn't take all the credit, Reyna, his personal assistant, had helped more than he cared to admit. He pulled up his notes app to remind himself to buy her some chocolates or something as a thanks. The two of them had stayed after hours for the past three days to find this time - him sprawled on the floor of his studio-office, and Reyna properly seated at his desk responding to the sea of emails that drowned his inbox.

But they had done it, and Nico could hardly contain his excitement. Of course, no one could know he was excited, that would defeat the purpose of his 'secret identity' - as Reyna called it - in the first place. Usually, Nico would have Reyna do this part, but Nico had fallen in love with this project and he desperately wanted to see the band's reaction, to hear his work played for the first time by its intended recipient. Sure, he'd composed and produced the thing on his own, that was all part of his process, but the lyrics weren't written for his voice and the chords didn't sound the same played by his hand.

He'd written for The Seven before, his artist name ANGEL was credited a couple times per album for his songwriting input. Those songs had won him a few awards too. There was no other way to put it, they were talented. And he wasn't just saying that because his half-sister was one of the band members, but honestly, he could write songs for them for days.

Hazel and Reyna were the only ones, aside from his legal and marketing team that knew that Nico di Angelo was ANGEL, but his role as DOA gave him enough reason to attend their rehearsals that no one really blinked an eye at him. He reached Rehearsal Room Three and pushed the door open, met with the cacophony of tuning instruments.

"Heyo, Nico!" Jason called, the first to notice his presence. Jason and him had become friends almost instantly, when the group had first signed with DOA. He'd glued himself to Nico's side and eventually Nico caved from his usual 'I hate everyone' mindset and gave him a chance.

He had his Gibson SG strung across his chest, hands mindlessly fiddling with the tuning pegs as he plucked each string.

"Oh hey, Musicman, long time, no see." Leo called out, peeking out from over the drum kit, signature flame-painted drumsticks twirling as he fidgeted. Then his eyes lit up, bouncing on the balls of his feet. "Please tell me you're the bringer of the holy grail!"