Adopted, Adopted, Adopted

Caira

"Hurry up, we're gonna be late!"

I flung long-sleeved shirts at Billy and Carl, who, for whatever reason, refused to ever be on time. They took after Jimin in that regard. Speaking of, Jimin was late. He had said he'd be home by five, but it was five fifteen, and the parent-teacher conference started at five thirty. Mom and dad were drunk again and passed out on the couch. There were shattered bits of glass on the carpeted floor, so that was yet another mess I had to clean up.

Within a few seconds, I tied my hair into a ponytail and contemplated cutting it. Although my long locks meant more to me than the unicorn stuffed animal Jimin had bought me when I had first been adopted, it did nothing but get in the way. Gage, mom and dad's newest adoptee, was only three, and he had stomach issues where he threw up all the time. I had gotten more puke in my hair than the toilet bowl got, and that was thanks to its length.

I stroked the brittle fragments that had once been wavy and shiny, but any vibrance and volume it had had been sucked out of it long ago. A sigh left my lips. Then, I got up and gathered the boys near the front door that had a golden doorknob.

"Get in the backseat and buckle up, I'll be out in a minute. Make sure your shoes are tied!"

Billy and Carl gave me a break and decided to do as they were told. They put on their sneakers and tied them, then departed the house to scramble into the SUV's backseat.

I went to the living room, dodged the broken glass, and picked up Gage, who had been shaking mom and dad for the past ten minutes to get them to wake. The little boy clung to me as I took him back to his room. By his room, I meant mine since mom and dad made me share it with him. There was a playpen there with netted walls too high for him to climb. I set him down and gave him a blanket and one of my countless unicorn plushies before going after Billy and Carl.

As soon as I stepped down the two cobblestone steps to get to the driveway, Jimin came running while fumbling with a tie. His black hair stuck up in five directions, and there was sweat covering his nose and forehead.

It was the middle of February.

Although I wanted to curse him out for being so late, there was no point. He was wearing a black suit for some reason; it wasn't that formal. I myself only wore leggings, a long-sleeved shirt, and a leather jacket. At least he was still wearing the watch I had gotten him two years ago.

I pulled the keys from out of my pocket and tossed them to Jimin. "What would've happened if you weren't here? You're gonna make the unlicensed teen drive?"

A permit was in my possession thanks to me being seventeen, but I was far from confident with driving. It was for the good of the world that I didn't drive often.

"I'm sorry. Come on, we're already late."

With a huff, I slinked into the passenger seat and grimaced at the vomit aroma lingering in the air. That was thanks to Gage, though I didn't blame him. It just meant we spent more money on cleaning than average, all for it to do next to nothing to eliminate the smell. Jimin hadn't bought the air fresheners like I had asked him to.

"Let me do the talking," I said, and Jimin nodded as he pulled out of the driveway and soared down the roads. New York's roads were terrible, though Buffalo in particular was awful. There were frequent closures due to flooding from their atrocious weather of rain, snow, and more snow.

My head fizzed up with numbness, and my chest ached. I wasn't sure why. I placed my hand on my temple, and Jimin glanced over at me at that.

"You okay?" he asked. I went to confirm I was, but the boys interrupted me.