The Story

Once the class ended, Asher shut his laptop, stored it away in his backpack, and swiftly exited the classroom, wanting to get ahead of the rest of the students so he can return to his dorm room peacefully. I'm not in the mood for social interaction, I just want to crash and do nothing during the weekend. He descends the stairwell and exits the building, navigating campus as he gradually makes his way back to the dorms. He puts on his earbuds connected to his MP3player, and blocks out the world around him with his music, ignoring any glances or statements thrown in his direction.

"Hey... Asher," A feminine voice gently calls out, attempting to seize his attention. "Asher!" The voice calls out again, more loudly this time. He really shouldn't be listening to music in public like this, at least not often, I understand if he's intentionally blocking out people and the environment around him, but when people genuinely attempt to approach them, they become intimidated and don't want to bother him.

Did I just... hear somebody call out my name?

Asher slows his strides and turns his head left and right, searching for the source of the feminine voice that he vaguely heard, and notices a girl he has noticed around his class approaching him. He comes to a stop and shifts his attention to her, feeling his heart beat a little faster due to rarely being approached. He pauses his music and pulls an earbud out, almost as if implying that he is listening.

"Hey, Amber... is something wrong?" Asher asks, feeling a bit nervous as he replies. Having not expected anyone to even consider approaching him when appearing closed off and clearly immersing himself in his music.

"I noticed you have been a bit more distant than usual. You don't say hi to anyone in class and are always the first to leave. Is everything okay?" Asher notices her expression showcasing a bit of genuine concern.

"I'm fine." He replies, clearly lying and attempting to avoid social interaction.

"No, I'm not accepting that as an answer, you clearly aren't." She takes a step towards him.

"Asher, I know you're shy, and I know we barely know each other, but nobody else has approached you about your recent behavior, and I was becoming a little worried. Just please be honest with me."

Asher's eyes widen slightly as he gazes into Amber's eyes, but regains his composure and becomes silent for a brief moment, unable to find the words to say as his mind races.

Sigh. I'll just tell her the truth.

"You're right... I'm not necessarily feeling okay." Amber continues to stare deeply into his eyes as she listens attentively, expecting him to delve into more detail. "I... I guess I've just kind of given up on attempting to make friends. I just feel unappreciated and feel a bit lonely due to no one even trying to speak with me or check on my well being." Amber processes what he says for a moment, but Asher continues as he notices Amber's concerned expression. "But it's fine really, I speak with two people through text, so it isn't a big deal, you don't need to stress over it-"

Amber shakes her head. "No, no, no," She interrupts. "Do not downplay how you feel or deny any help, you are going to accept my concern and care whether you like it or not." Dumbfounded, Asher stares at her, surprised by how persistent she is. "I'll gladly be your friend... were you heading back to your dorm?" She asks curiously.

"Yeah... I intend to crash for the weekend."

"I'll walk back with you then, if you don't mind of course."

Asher feels a light blush tinge his cheeks as his eyes widen once more. "Okay..." He mumbles shyly, beginning to continue walking towards the dorms as Amber walks alongside him, matching his strides.