Chapter 2

༺❀༻The Tournament༺❀༻

POV: Merlyn

Being Arthur's maid sure was a challenge. It was like he made it his goal to make my life a living hell. Bossing me around for every tiny thing. 'Merlyn get me my trousers! Merlyn go to the kitchen and get me a different bread, this ones too dry! Clean this whole room again, the dust makes me cough!'

He is such a princess! How will this boy do anything on his own? Today, his new form of torture was to make me help him train for the tournament. He watched me fumble with the sword and helmet. "Just put the helmet on, Merlyn!" Grimly, I started at him and put the helmet on my head. "Are you ready now?"

"We both know the answer to that is no, my prince. So why are you even asking?" He chuckled at the tone of my voice and pulled out his sword. "Maybe-maybe you should ask somebody else! Someone who wasn't beaten up by you before!" I held up my sword to block his hits, which was getting harder very time he hits.

"Body! Shield! Body! Shield! Head!" My ears were ringing after he hit me at the side of the head.

"How is this even helping you?!" I am so glad that there was no one else around.

"This would be more helpful if you tried! I saw that you have a will to fight. Come on, show me!" He started to swing at me again, and I actually blocked the blow with the shield. "To the left! To the right! Head! Come on, Merlyn! I've got a tournament to win!"

"Then train with a knight if you must!" He started to attack my legs and finish his attack with a blow to the top of my head. "Oh no..." I fell backwards, laying down on the field. This is awful. "My head hurts...are we done?"

"Mhm. You are brave, most servants collapse after one blow," He stood over me with a smug grin. "But that was just the warm-up!" He explained happily.

"This is unseemly! You shouldn't be training with a girl. It is not right!" I lifted my head, meeting his eyes. "...my prince."

"You should watch your tone and the way you speak with me. If I say we train, we train! How's your mace work coming along?"

"Ugh! I don't know, I've never used one. I'm from a farming village." Getting up, I realized there was no other way to make this go by faster than to just do what he said.

"Just try to dodge my attacks. That should be easy enough, right?" He circled me, watching my every step.

This was my first day being his maid, and I think he'll ask me to do more tasks like this. Tasks I shouldn't be doing, things that weren't my responsibility. I dodged his first swing easily enough. "You know fighting," I dodge another swing. "Against a trained knight will be very different from fighting against me," At this point I was breathless. "So this is utterly useless."

"Not to me, it isn't," Arthur was laughing. He was laughing at me! "Where did you get that dress you wore yesterday?"

"What?!" He hit my shield, and again I fell to the ground. His eyebrows raised questioningly. "Gauis got some for me. I had to travel here in pants. Safety reasons."