Boundaries

The military was divided when the apocalypse occurred. The response time was quick and they easily built bases or so people called safe zones but the chain of commands are actually broken.

It was easier to hide it before but now that more and more zombies are getting stronger and weaponry slowly becoming ineffectual, the more it was harder to protect the civilians. Thanks to the power users, they are able to survive but the problem is those very power users are getting harder and harder to please and asking a lot of things.

The people still call the system government but the military are the ones who are moving in the front rows.

In Base 136, the military are the real law makers.

Cordigel Basco is a sick looking man with pale skin and sunken eyes. Thanks to him, this area is still holding on.

Many wanted to usurp his position but he was stern.

Truthfully, he had always wanted to retire. Before he can submit his resignation, he becomes this base ruler.

He knows if he steps down, this peace that he protected so much for past months will collapse.

He was able to talk to other base leaders and was able to establish a resources exchange.

Not all bases are ruled over by military personnel. Some are ragtag survivors who gained powers and were able to protect their bases.

"We tried to recruit more water users but many of them declined. The work is tiresome and they don't get enough benefits. Even the few we signed in the first place wanted to back down after finding out."

The adjutant said reluctantly.

"The others said we should imply for those power users to do mandatory work or we kick them out."

"And you also think that works? If you force them to choose, you think they won't risk it and run to another base instead?"

"Sir, our base is better than others."

"Because we highly protect everyone's interest. If we try to force the power user they'll become resentful. That's why we need to offer better deals."

"What else can we offer? We don't even know if we will last longer."

"We just have to find it..." Cordigel sighs.

.

.

.

.

Two large bowls are presented on the table. On top of the noodles and the soup are the glistering plant meat that are marinated in soy sauce and spice.

The two eat without talking.

The slurping of noodles and the gulping sound from the occasional sound of cutlery clicking on the bowl.

"It feels magical to eat so well." Rook covers his mouth and burp.

"It sure is." Serei chuckles.

He looks at Rook and smiles.

He has been here for a few weeks.

But he barely makes any dishes that are too elaborate. Making noodles is troublesome. Boiling meat bones for a few hours is so extra. Marinating already tasty plant meat is extravagant. But he did it anyway. Cause he knows it'll taste good.

And cause it's not just him who will eat.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Rook asks.

"I just think that coming here is really the right decision."

"You say that after you work hard making a meal?"

"I just realized that for my sake, your presence is important."

"I don't understand but I'm glad you feel that way."

"Tomorrow, what are your plans?"

Serei asks.

"I will go and find a way to talk to someone in charge. If I think they are trustworthy, I will give them the water filter. Is it alright if I say you are my step brother? It'll be questioned why we live together but if we have a relationship nobody will find it suspicious."

"Hm.." he crosses his arms.

"No. I am an only child. It might slip out when I am not thinking about it. How about cousins?"

"Alright. Since my medical check up says I have amnesia. I can just say I gained a few of my memories when I met you outside. It's not troublesome to not know anything about you and you can say we only met at a family reunion so we are not really that close before." Rook said, nodding about it. Thinking it's the best explanation.

"That's it then. Should I still call you big brother?"

"I'd rather not. I like that we are both in an equal position and we can discuss things like this. If you suddenly become my younger cousin, I might have the big brother responsible for it."

Serei covers his mouth.

"I didn't know you were so complicated.But I get it. We are equal because we both answer to our own. Not because I followed you, means I will rely on you and you have the right to control what I do and vice versa."

"But we are still partners." Rook said.

"I will still protect you if you need it."

"I understand."

"I don't mean to set a boundary between us."

Serei smiles.

"Even lovers have boundaries."

"...are we still good?"

"Yes."

Rook looks up.

"You are more mature than I am."

"How old are you this year?"

"26. How about you?"

"11."

"Wow."

"What?" Serei blinks, cleaning the dirty dishes but Rook snatches them.

"You cook so I will do the dishes."

"If you will do the dishes then you have to follow my rules in doing dishes." Serei shakes his head.

"Rules?"

"First, you have to remove the leftovers and put them in one container to be thrown out later. Sauce and other things. Then rinse the dirty dishes with water. Then soak the dishes in soapy water for a few minutes. 2 is enough.

Then you scrub them with a sponge with dish soap. Rinse it two times or until it is squeaky clean. If the dish is still oily, you have to wash it with soapy water again."

"...... are you serious? You know that you can't waste that much water in this place."

"Not anymore. And look I know I am asking a lot but that's the only way I will feel that those dishes are clean. Do you want to wake up seeing me redoing the dishes?"

"You'll do that?"

"I will."

Rook chuckles.

"It's not that hard. I will clean them perfectly according to your wishes."

Serei blinks and watches Rook. Rook does as he asks him.

"Did I do well?" Rook asks.

"I guess you can do the dishes from now on. But I'll keep checking." He said seriously.

"Alright."

Rook resigned to it with a smile.

Serei giggles and runs to the stairs leaving Rook dumbfounded.

"Still a child."

A/N:

There will be more characters later. Promise hahahhahah