Chapter 19: Buddy Time

A whole month had passed since the emergence of the reds. Since then the house was renovated to give all the reds there own space, in fact all the houses in little homeschool were.

Due to the gems advanced techniques it took only a few days to expand little homeschool for the ever increasing amount of gems choosing to stay on earth.

Ze-Ro has been ludicrously busy keeping track of the reds and spending time with them. Making sure F-Opal didn't destroy, seeing that Cinnabar doesn't attack anyone, Pezzotaite doesn't do anything rude and helping R-Pearl break out of her obsessiveness with him.

All was going well, but it was clearly taking it's toll. Imagine being single then becoming a father to four in an instant.

But Ze-Ro was strong, stronger than he gives himself credit for.

But it was clear that all the work was getting to him. To the point he hardly sleeped, to worried if he's raising the reds, his girls, right.

Pearl watched as she enjoyed some lemonade and saw that Ze-Ro was hanging out with his reds and his dog. She saw how happy he was, but clearly tired.

Pearl: Awe, poor baby.

Lapis joined in.

Lapis: Non-stop doting and running around. I'm worried he's gonna overextend himself. Can't he take a break.

Pearl: He's the only one that can control them. That's why he's going to every class with them.

Greg overheard the conversations on put in his insight.

Greg: That's parenthood. Geez and so young, and to four!

Pearl: I wish he take a day to go out and have fun.

Greg: Look at him, he is having fun.

Pearl: I mean the kind of fun where you aren't exhausted all the time.

Lapis: Then what do we do with the reds?

Pearl: Oh those little monsters. Ze-Ro leaves for a minute then they cause havoc. What to do, what to do.

Greg agreed that Ze-Ro needed a break. He knows how it is being a single parent of just one kid, he couldn't imagine that amount of effort multiplied by four. Then he had an idea to get a substitute.

Greg: Y'know Pearl, with you taking a motherly roll with Z, the red's coming I to the picture, that makes you a grandmother, and those, are your grandbabies.

Pearl dropped her glass and had a shocked expression on her face. She turned and looked at her darling reds.

Pearl: Grandmother?

Greg winked at Lapis. She got the hint that the reds were taken care of, now tomorrow is his day off, Lapis was seeing to that.

The next morning came and Ze-Ro was getting back from walking Love.

He went inside and stretched, ready for the day.

Lapis and Peridot were sitting down.

Lapis: Z, we need to talk.

Ze-Ro: What's going on? Did I do something wrong?

Peridot: No, you just need to take a personal day.

Ze-Ro: Personal day? What are you talking about?

Lapis: It's been all set up. You can go out and have fun for the day. I can tell it's been hard keeping track of the reds and taking care of Love.

Ze-Ro: It's my responsibility.