Chapter 19: Making a New Friend Part 1

After her eventful weekend babysitting Rayla, followed by a training session with Chat Noir and Master Fu Sunday night, Marinette was grateful to manage a full night's sleep. But all good things must come to an end, and Marinette's surprisingly akuma-free night's sleep was over when her alarm went off the next morning. Fortunately for Marinette, she woke up on the second alarm ring for once, sitting up in her bed with a yawn after turning it off.

"Good morning, Tikki. How'd you sleep?" Marinette happily greeted her kwami, letting her arms rise into the air as she stretched out of her post-sleep stiffness.

"Very well since there wasn't an akuma attacking last night." Tikki chirped, rubbing any leftover sleep from her eyes while still lying on her little bed on the shelf above her holder's bed. "How about you? This is the first time you've woken up on the first alarm." the red kwami remarked, a rueful smile gracing her face.

"Same here, actually. Usually, it's harder to wake up in the mornings, but I feel fully rested." Marinette announced, her bubbly demeanor practically pouring out of her.

"That's great Marinette!" Tikki exclaimed, happy to see Marinette so chipper.

"Thanks Tikki. And here's to hoping my day goes well, too." Marinette said as she pushed her covers off of her, eager to start the day.

"Marinette! Breakfast's ready!" her mother called from downstairs.

"Coming, Mom!" Marinette replied, getting up from her bed and heading to her trap door to go downstairs as her mother requested. But as soon as Sabine saw her daughter wide-eyed and awake, she was left surprised. "Morning, Mom!" the designer greeted her mom as she walked over to her, kissing the baffled Sabine's cheek.

"Uh, good morning, honey." Sabine answered in an unsure tone, watching as Marinette walked over to the table and sat down for breakfast. "Seems like you had a good night's sleep. You never come down the first time I call you after your alarm goes off." she observed, intrigued by her daughter's sudden punctuality.

"Just had a very restful night last night. Nothing more." Marinette replied before she started eating breakfast, slightly amused by her mom's skepticism.

"Really? So there isn't anything exciting going to happen in school that could have prompted your early rise?" Sabine asked Marinette, gently probing to find out if there was any reason for the girl's early rise out of bed.

"No, Mom. There won't be anything exciting happening at school. I just slept very well." Marinette assured her mother, followed by taking another bite of her meal.

"Oookay. But I'm still a little wary of you being early for once." Sabine admitted as she walked over to the sink, starting to do the dishes sitting inside.

"Eh, fair enough." Marinette replied.

With her mom pacified, Marinette finished eating her breakfast and quickly washed the dishes before going up to her room to get changed for the day. Now dressed in her daily attire and packing her bag, Marinette headed back downstairs while Tikki quickly hid in her purse. Once she reached the bottom, Marinette quickly went over to the dining table and kissed her mom goodbye just as the light-color-eyed woman sat down for her morning cup of tea.

"See you tonight, Mom. Love you!" Marinette farewelled, turning to head over to the door.

"Have a good day, honey!" Sabine responded, smiling as she watched Marinette open the door and look back at her.

"You too, Mom!" Marinette called back, closing the door behind her and letting it click into place before heading down to the ground floor. Despite the laid-back pace Marinette had while going down the stairs, she still made it down to the bakery in record time and entered the kitchen through the back door. In doing so, she passed by her father while he was kneading a batch of bread dough.