Chapter 15: Riposte Part 1

In the week following Jim's birthday Stalkling surprise, both world-saving groups had fallen into a new rhythm after that fateful day. As Ladybug had promised, she managed to find some time to talk to Vendel before she left so that Tikki could confirm she saw the bridge the night of the museum break-in as well. While Vendel had already believed them after NotEnrique's reveal, the Kwami of Creation's retelling was the final nail in the coffin for him to start doing something about it. She also talked to Vendel about letting Draal back into Heartstone so that he could freely use the Gyre to come to Paris, which he agreed to right away.

With Draal coming to train her on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and her usual sessions with Master Fu and Chat Noir moved to the weekends, Marinette's weapon skills increased significantly. However, there was always room for improvement and Draal suggested that she find a way to practice her skills outside their training sessions. So this is how Marinette found herself in her school's locker room, dressed in fencing gear and looking for a fencing helmet for the yearly tryouts of D'Argencourt Academy.

"This fencing gear really suits you, Marinette." Tikki praised her holder, floating near Marinette as she searched the assorted helmets provided for those trying out for the team that was placed on a table in the middle of the room.

"Thank you, Tikki! But let's hope wielding a saber is easier than finding a helmet that fits." Marinette said as she grabbed a helmet and placed it on her head, which slipped to the side, drawing a disgruntled noise from Marinette while Tikki giggled at the mishap.

"I gotta ace these try-outs! D'Argencourt is the most prestigious fencing teacher in all of Paris! I've only got this one shot to show them what I've got and get onto the team!" the designer exclaimed as she pulled the helmet off, holding it in her hands while talking to Tikki.

"You've been reviewing the fencing forms and rules all week with Jim and practicing with Draal as well! It's going to be great!" Tikki cheered as she floated above the fencing equipment table, smiling excitedly at her holder for trying something new.

"You're right. I'm going to make quite an impression on both the team and Adrien!" Marinette agreed, then slammed the helmet in her hands down onto the table, upsetting the others laid out and causing them to roll off the flat surface. Immediately, Marinette scrambled to catch them all before they fell off, only managing to catch three out of the whole amount... which had been helpful to her in the end.

"Ah, here we go! This one should fit perfectly!" the pigtailed girl declared as she spied the helmet she had caught on her foot, putting the ones in her hands back onto the table to grab it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After finding the proper helmet, Marinette put it off to the side to pick up the fallen helmets and put them back on the table for the other students trying out for the team. Once Marinette's mess was cleaned up and she had her equipment, she went to the school's center quad area, where Mr D'Argencourt and his senior students were waiting to greet the recruits.

"I am the fencing master, Mr. D'Argencourt." D'Argencourt greeted the recruits as he passed between them and his existing students, both groups lined up and focusing on the experienced fencer. "As I'm sure you're aware, we have only one open spot on the team this year. So, to select the best possible candidate, I will observe the beginners performing several attacks on the experienced students." he explained as he stopped and faced the challengers, not seeing or caring that Marinette was looking around the quad in search of something.

"Where's Adrien?" Marinette wondered to herself, concerned to not see her crush or any sign of his presence since the experienced students were all wearing their helmets over their faces.