»»» 𝔳𝔦𝔦𝔦.𝔦𝔦

Începe de la început

"Which is why you get overstimulated sometimes," Natasha guessed. "Like at the grocery store or the Canteen."

"Exactly. I hear everything tenfold, and my awareness is divided. I've definitely gotten better at it, but if I'm not focused enough it starts to get to me."

Natasha leaned forward, resting her elbow on the console with her chin on her closed fist, listening to Truth intently as she drove.

"How do you manage it all?" she asked.

"Compartmentalize. Tune out all the excess stuff to stay sane, only focusing on what I need to. I give myself breaks, meditate...it's definitely resulted in me having a lot of hobbies to distract myself. It's also why I listen to music a lot—it blocks out everything else when I can't."

Natasha liked learning more about this side of Truth Castello. She felt as though she was seeing another part of her that not many people were privy to, and, for some odd reason, it greatly pleased Natasha to know that Truth had given her that privilege after the entirety of everything.

"Anything else I should know before things start getting serious?"

Truth glanced away from the road for a moment to meet her eyes briefly.

"If at any point during this mission you feel uncomfortable, tell me. We don't have to do the telepathy if you don't want to—not a lot of people like the idea of having someone else 'in their head,' though it...doesn't really work like that. You control what I see. It's like I'm peering at the pages of a book, but you're turning the page. If you don't want me to see or hear anything, then you can skim past it. I can promise you that I won't ever purposefully invade your privacy like that."

Natasha nodded.

"I know. I trust you."

Truth met Natasha's eyes once more, a hint of a smile on her lips.

"I trust you, too."

Truth dropped Natasha off near the entrance to the venue well before the start of the party. With Natasha as a waitress, it was customary for her to arrive before the guests and be ready to serve at any and all times. S.H.I.E.L.D. had already moved around the roster, so no one should question her place tonight—and, if they did, the records would show that she's a new transfer, starting her first night on the job.

The early start also gave some Truth time to set up. She parked the car in a secluded, forested area a little ways behind the building, which should give her some privacy, but also keep her close enough to step in at any time if she had to. Her suit was already on, all of her weapons and gadgets in place. The only thing she didn't have on her was her whip, which she'd thrown into the backseat after she'd picked the car up from S.H.I.E.L.D. She didn't expect to have to use it, but it was better to be safe than sorry.

Taking out her S.H.I.E.L.D. issued computer, she pulled up the blueprints of the building in the corner of her screen as a reference. She'd already studied it beforehand, but it would be helpful to have it in sight if at any point in time she lost Natasha or needed to guide her out of a tough situation.

As she was opening her cross-reference sheet, Natasha directed a thought to her.

Can you hear me?