Chapter 7: Battle for the Captial

Fhirdiad:

Y/N's POV:

It's time for the battle. The Knights of Serios just arrived.

Gilbert: According to our scouts, the enemy has positioned their troops on the capital streets.

Rodrigue: (concerned) They plan to use the townsfolk as shields when we take the fight to them. What vulgar tactics?

Dimitri: (concerned) Well, now that we know their strategy, our next move will be critical. A victory stained with the people's blood achieves nothing. We'll need to move our forces swiftly, but with caution.

Dimitri turns to Dedue.

Dimitri: Dedue. Has there been a reply from my uncle?

He shakes his head.

Dedue: Nothing of yet.

Dimitri: (concerned) Mmm. I thought not.

Gilbert: Your Highness. Will you be able to strike Rufus down when the time comes?

Dimitri: I will do what is required of me.

Dimitri turns to me.

Dimitri: Y/N. How many enemy forces did 2B say was in the palace?

Y/N: 2,157. Including Kronya's people.

Dimitri: Yes. This... does not bode well. But if we keep our heads together, we should be able to prevail.

Ingrid, Felix, and Mercedes approach us.

Ingrid: Preparations are complete, Your Highness.

Mercedes: The people are waiting, Dimitri. Let's no keep them waiting any longer.

Dimitri: (uneasy) No, we'd best not.

Felix: (annoyed) You're our commander, but you look like you're heading for a funeral. Could you maybe try not being do insufferable?

Dimitri: (uneasy) Apologies for my demeanor. I've more than a few things on my mind. But very well, let's begin our final war council.

Everyone but me and Dimitri walks off. I turn to him.

Y/N: (concerned) You look pale, Dimitri. Not keen on fighting your own blood?

Dimitri: Sadly, I saw this fight coming long ago.

Y/N: Then what's up with you?

Dimitri: (uneasy) Now that I've brought the fight to the streets of the capital, I wonder if my actions are right. Most people here favor keeping the royal line of succession. That's because my father and the kings before him maintained peace inside these walls.

Y/N: ...

Dimitri: (uneasy) But ever since my uncle seized power, the people have been forced to endure his licentious reign.

Y/N's Mind: I'm not sure what that word means, but let's pretend I do.

Dimitri: (uneasy) Did you know they asked me to assume the throne before my time at the academy? They said only a true king could undo Rufus's misrule.

Y/N: If they wanted you to be king before going to Garreg Mach, then why didn't you?

Dimitri: Because it would have divided the Kingdom. Just as it's doing now... Yet had I supported my uncle's claim, it would have been open rebellion.