Chapter 30 - "Second Chances"

Start from the beginning

"Okay, L-Lava." He stuttered.

"You don't have to force yourself to come back if you're afraid. I can just leave if you want."
I didn't want to be alone, but staying where I'm just creating fear isn't much better.

"You don't have to leave! Please stay and protect us!" He begged.

"Even though I want to, I can't protect people that are more scared of me than whatever could threaten them." I responded.

"I can convince them if you give me some time, that won't be a problem." He promised.

I was skeptical, but I agreed to give it a try.

"What's your name?" I ask.

"Oh. My name's Shiba." He answered meekly.

"Well, Shiba, I'll do my best to help if I can."

He slowly stopped stuttering in his speech until he eventually got comfortable enough to interact normally.

I don't know how long we spent there before another beastman came running seemingly without regard to my presence.

"Shiba! They came! They took Azura!" The new beastman shouted in a panic.

"Oh no! I'm sorry dra- Lava! I have to go!" He stammered weakly and started leaving.

"Hey, wait! Tell me what's going on too! I can help!" I call.

He didn't even stop to explain, so this time I followed.

They led me to their village and I suddenly remembered I should be hiding.
They could all see me now and were crying even more than they already were as they try to get away.

"Don't run away! I just want to help!" I shout desperately.
I don't think that's going to work, but Shiba manages to get them under control and they decide to actually listen to me for a minute.

"Thank you... Now please just calmly tell me what's going on?"

"The Ralei clan always come demanding tributes, but we didn't have anything to give them this time! And if we don't have anything..." One of the brave bunch explains.

"Why don't you fight them off?"

"They're too strong! How can we fight them?!" He proclaims with insurmountable discouragement.

I feel weak, but even without any magic I'm certain I can get back whoever they took.
Maybe I'm being stupid?

I tried using magic when I was alone and it just barely worked at all.

"Tell me where I can find them. I promise I'll bring whoever they took back to you." I promised.

"A dragon would do that for us? What do you want from us?" He asks doubtfully.

"I don't want anything! I just want to be friends for now, that's all."

I'm their only chance, so they agreed to that.

I was going to leave right away, but Shiba stopped me and asked me a very vexing question.
"What's your ability?"

Ability? What do you mean 'ability'? You just use spells, right?
"What's an ability?"

"What?! You don't have one? Everyone develops a unique ability!" He shouts, shocked.

"Sorry... I don't know anything at all."

"Then I have to teach you before you go!" He demands adamantly.

--- Meanwhile, in a throne room far, far away.

BAM!

Grimnal slammed his fist onto the table upon receiving the report.
"Not only did you fail your lord, but you allowed the rift to be closed?!" He screamed at the scout that was unfortunate enough to be giving the report.

"U-Uh, we didn't actually see whether our lord lost or not! It's him, surely he's-" The scout stutters before being interrupted by a bulky grip on his neck.

Grimnal already knew Azgaroth was dead, because he could feel his authority being passed to him.
So he kept choking the scout in rage.

"Chk- What did you expect us to do?! We're just scouts! That dragon was also dragged to our side of the rift as well!" The scout cried while choking.

The choking abruptly ended as he finished his sentence.
"It was dragged through? Where?!"

"We don't know! It looked like our lord was about to win, but then they both were dragged through. We didn't get to see who won, we barely made it through before the rift sealed!"

"That dragon is the key to reopening the rift from our side of the veil. Go find it, before I reduce you and your entire squad to dust!" Grimnal ordered.

"Yes, my lord." The scout replied, relieved to make it out of the room.