chapter 6 - adjusting

"I've never been a natural all I do is try, try, try"
- Mirrorball, Taylor Swift

✩⍣¯·.¸¸.·✩·.¸

No matter how long April stared at the house she still couldn't get her head to wrap around the fact that she was back home, for good.

Her heart twisted at the sight of the white porched that wrapped around her whole house. You used to have a perfect view of the beach and sunset. Her eye caught sight of the rocking chair in the corner. Some summer nights, the whole family would gather outside to watch the sunset. Her mother would sit on the chair, april would bob on her knee, her brother would sit on the ground beside them and her dad would lean against the wall. Milo and April usually had some sort of fruity soda and their stomachs would be full from the barbeque her dad made just before. But the rocking chair wasn't there. April blinked and the chair disappeared. The rocking chair went straight back into her imagination. The rocking chair was gone, just like her mum. 

She stared at the light blue shaded planks covering the whole house, they had gained a little wear since she had seen them last but she thought she liked that more, the house felt like it was more lived in, like it could be a home. It gave the impression that you could make this your home, where you would turn too, despite the fact she was missing her brother and mother.

It could never really be home without each of their laughs bouncing off the walls. Now it was just her and her dad and April couldn't remember the last time she heard her dad laugh.

April had stayed outside for a few moments to try figure out what had changed and what hadn't while James had went straight into their home from ten years ago. April drew in one last shaky breath and picked up the suitcase beside her, it was quite light. When packing April realised that in reality, she hated every single piece of clothing she owned. She didn't know why she bought them in the first place. Everytime she wore them it felt like it was burning her skin. So, she abandoned most of her clothes. But they never really felt like her clothes anyway.

She took up towards the porch steps, that would let out a small creak each time you stepped on them. Her brother kicking sand in her eyes, one creak. April and Milo trying to get the icecream they spilt out of the carpet, the second creak. Her mum trying her best to tuck april into bed while april was too giddy with excitement from the day to get in her bed, the third creak. April felt her eyes go blurry and she ran up the last few steps, scared the creaks would rip out more memories she had buried so deep inside of her.