Broken Promises Pt. 3

Start from the beginning

"What's going on, doll?"

"Oh please, just shut the fuck up with the 'doll' shit!" You groaned. "I need you to get your play thing in line."

"Y/n, I don't know what you're talking about."

"Cut the crap, Bucky. I'm sick of hearing Autumn talk about how amazing you are to her after you fuck and how you're falling in love with her. And if I have to see her throw herself at you one more time, I swear to God..."

"Y/n, I haven't slept with Autumn since before you returned. I haven't even spoken to her unless it's to tell her to leave me alone. And I sure as hell haven't told her I'm falling in love with her. We both know that there's only one woman I've ever spoken those words to." Bucky stood up and calmly replied to you.

"It's true, Y/n. Bucky's been with me and Sam unless he's in his room sleeping." Steve added.

"As much as I hate to confirm what Bucky said, I've been keeping tabs on him and Autumn. He's telling the truth, honey." Tony said with a slight scowl on his face.

You looked at Bucky and paused for a moment before responding. After years of dating, you knew when he was lying and when he was telling the truth. There was nothing deceptive in his eyes. Heat crept across your body as his gaze intensified. You shook your head lightly, reminding yourself why you couldn't let those gorgeous blue eyes sway you.

"I don't really give a shit, just tell her to leave me the fuck alone before I bash her face in. I'm teetering on the edge here. If it happens one more time, I swear not even her mother will be able to recognize her."

You spun on your heel and left the room before any of the men could respond to your threat.

~

Trying to sleep after the confrontation with Autumn and then Bucky felt useless. You tossed and turned, your body refusing to get comfortable, from the moment you crawled into bed. Around midnight you finally fell into a fitful sleep punctuated by nightmares of the day you returned and first saw Bucky. A couple hours after you first drifted off, you were awoken by a guttural scream coming from down the hall.

You knew that scream all too well. You'd heard it often when Bucky first moved into the compound and then again when you'd sleep next to him after you began dating. Steve was the only other person to share the floor with you and Bucky, but he'd left with Natasha for a mission late in the afternoon. It wasn't your place to check on Bucky anymore, but the more you heard him scream, the harder it was to ignore him.

You let a few more minutes pass to see if he calmed, but the screams became more anguished with each passing minute. Throwing the blanket off your body, you left your room and walked down the hall until you were standing in front of Bucky's door. Your hand was poised to knock, but at the last minute you asked FRIDAY to let you into his room.

The room was dark except for faint light coming from the TV across from the bed. The soft light illuminated Bucky's writhing form on top of the bed. His jaw was tight and you could tell that he was gritting his teeth. Without warning, his mouth opened and he screamed your name followed by the word 'no'. He mumbled the words 'let me go' and 'I have to get to her'. It didn't take much thought to figure out what he was dreaming about.

You walked towards the bed slowly and called his name, but he didn't respond. You continued moving forward while saying his name, but he still didn't wake. When you were close enough to the bed to touch him, you gently laid your hand on his shoulder and said his name louder this time. His response was to jolt upright in his bed, which made you jerk your hand back in surprise.

"Y/n?" He asked, confused.

"You were screaming in your sleep. I just wanted to make sure you were okay." You replied softly.