Unimportant Pt. 4 (Bucky Ending)

At exactly noon you pulled into a parking space outside the compound and stared at the building. Your heart was racing and your palms were getting sweaty the longer you sat there. There was still time for you to turn around and leave. Your finger hovered in front of the start button on your car, but you hesitantly pulled your hand back and blew out a huff of air.

You had already run away once, you didn't want to do it again. You got out of the car and took another deep breath before walking to the entrance. Before you reached the door, it opened and Bucky walked out. His hands dug into his pockets as he smiled weakly at you. You smiled tightly at him in return and stood fidgeting with your hands, unsure of what to say. Bucky could see your nervousness, so he tried breaking the tension.

"I'm glad you came. I-I was a little scared you'd back out." He said quietly.

"I thought about it."

Bucky looked down at the ground and nodded slowly.

"Well, I'm happy you didn't. I have a lot of things to explain."

"Yeah, like last night when you told me you love me. You had no right to say that to me, Bucky. Not after how you made me feel." You said harshly.

"I know. Can we go inside and talk...about everything? I promise I'll explain. I-I just need you to hear me out." Bucky asked.

You chewed on the inside of your cheek for a moment before nodding at him. Bucky opened the door for you and led you to the elevator. He took you to the sixth floor and down a long hallway before stopping in front of one of the doors. You knew that this floor held some of the rooms that Tony built for the team to live in, but you weren't sure why Bucky was bringing you here.

"Make yourself comfortable." Bucky said as he let you into his room.

"Is this your room?" You asked, taking a look around the sparse area.

There was a bed off to the right and a dresser on the left side of it. A TV was mounted on the wall across from the bed. One of Bucky's hoodies was thrown over the back of a chair that sat in the corner of the room and the closet door was askew so you could see his clothes hung up. Other than that fact that you'd seen his clothes, you'd never know it was anything other than an unoccupied room.

"Uh, yeah."

"What happened to your apartment?"

"I-I couldn't stay there after you left. I've been staying at the compound for the last ten months." Bucky whispered. "It reminded me too much of you."

You locked eyes with him as he sunk down into the chair and motioned for you to have a seat at the end of the bed. What Sam said last night was true. Bucky had been suffering, but you couldn't fathom why. He had pushed and pushed until you thought you were giving him what he wanted by leaving. If that was true, then why did he look so lost and defeated?

"Y/n, the last ten months since you left have been agonizing. I'm not going to ask you why you left because I know what I did was wrong, but why didn't you talk to me first? I-I..."

"You what, Bucky?" You said, cutting him off. "You would've said you're sorry and that you'd do better? I had heard that so many times before and nothing ever changed. What reason would I have had to believe that anything would have changed?"

You could already feel your anger building. This was supposed to be a chance for him to explain, but sitting here in front of him was making all your pain resurface. Bucky's head dropped and he leaned forward, placing his elbows on his knees.

"I-I don't know. Words wouldn't have helped, but if I knew you were thinking about leaving I could've shown you how much you mean to mean through my actions." Bucky looked up at you with sad eyes.