Chapter Six

This is crazy.

Am I really pitching an idea!?

Just like the many other employees on my team, after the announcement from Mr. Conner Contell, it was like my mind went on overdrive, scrambling through a billion different ideas for the new game. I had more ideas than I knew what to do with, and yet none were sticking out as much as the private project I'd been working on for a while. 

While I loved the designs I created in my free time, I was also very aware of the vulnerable position I would be putting myself in if I released those designs to the company.

I wasn't sure it would be worth it.

I pushed aside that idea for now, focusing on the others—the ones I knew would hurt less if rejected at the proposal meeting because they were mainstream, and currently trending in games. As an employee of the atmosphere design team, my main focus has always been on creating the world players play in.

This was the first time I was given the chance to do more than that. If I could lead this, the door to every stage of the game would open, and I would have a hand in it all—the art, writing, and gameplay.

Creating a game from start to finish has always been an out-of-reach idea in our department. It wasn't something I expected, and an opportunity I didn't even know I wanted until right in front of me. Not giving it my all and failing would only cause regret, so I wanted to try.

I wanted to do this.

I was hung upside down on my couch, flipping through a pile of papers that showcased popular games that had been trending for the past few months. I needed an idea that would sell; that was what the company was looking for.

Minigames...

I'm not doing that again.

An Otome game...

As a single female who spends the majority of her day working, I think this genre may be out of my expertise.

Sigh...

I hear a small shuffle next to my head and turn to see Peanut's beady eyes as she stares a hole into my face. Her black eyes fill with tears, and she lets out a pitiful whine as she stretches her front legs into a crouch before yelping at me again.

"What?"

"Is that your take me outside whine? Or... are you throwing a fit because you can?"

Her growl in response sent me tumbling off the couch. "You're a piece of work, you know that." I huff.

I stand up from the floor, swinging my hair into a quick, messy bun, before attaching Ms. Peanut to her prissy plaid leash.

"Let's go before you unleash your wrath on my new slippers."

After stepping outside the door, I make a small stop at my mailbox to check if there are any letters. Peanut sniffs around the grass in front of my house, growling at a random ant pile before peeing on it. A flicker of light catches my attention, drawing my focus to a window in the house in front of mine.

Oh yeah...

Work had been so hectic recently that I had completely forgotten about the lovely new neighbor of mine living across the street from me. He seemed quiet for the most part—almost too quiet if you asked me; at times I forgot anyone even lived there. Every time I walked Peanut, the blinds would be shut and all the lights would be turned off. 

Each to their own, I guess.

I shrugged, tugging Peanut along when she started barking loudly at a passing car. The car in question was an all-black Camry with tinted windows, and it slid right up the driveway of my amazing neighbor's house.