08 THE WORTON GANG

Start from the beginning

"I could have stolen it for all you know."

Liar. Julina thought, rolling her eyes as she reached into her back trouser pocket and retrieved the girl's diamond ring.

"Did ya steal these as well?"

The girl's face paled at the sight of her jewellery. Julina began feeling memories of her last interaction with a noble resurface, memories of the last time she was with Kailer. 

"Give that to me!"

"Nope!"

"But it belongs to me!"

Julina scoffed. "Ya really think that half of stuff I 'ave is mine?"

The girl paused for a moment. "It's precious to me."

"Well, it's mine now. Dependin' on how things go 'ere, I may just give it back to ya."

The girl fell silent again as she looked around the room with mousey eyes. "What...what are you going to do to me?"

Julina could hear the fear in the girl's voice, but also a touch of boldness. It was faint, but it was there.

"What's ya name?" Julina asked.

The girl remained quiet, her eyes fighting to look up at Julina.

"Name!" Julina asked again, this time more than a demand.

The girl hesitantly returned her eyes to Julina. "R...Renna."

"Well, Renna...what we choose to do to ya depends on what ya can do for us." Julina replied, leaning a little forward. "And if I were you, I'd be 'opin' it can be a lot. The Former knows it." She at this flicked out one of her glass knives from her belt and showed it to the noblewoman, seeing the fear rise upon the noblewoman's face. She slowly sliced the space in front of the girl's face with the glass blade, deflecting the square room's lantern lights and dispersing it into thin, pastel strings of orange. The girl cringed at the sight of the glass knife, quivering slightly as she pulled her face away from it.

"Take a good look, m'lady." Julina said, as a request. She grabbed the girl's chin and brought the tip of the knife closer to her face.

"I said look! Because this could be what ya noble friends find sticking out of ya back if ya don't play with us, clear?"

The girl nodded, in which Julina let go of her chin and moved the knife from her face. Julina contained her astonished feeling as she gazed at the girl for a moment. 

She's cooperatin...but not cryin' or beggin' for her life? She shrugged at the thought. "Now we've established an understandin' of some sort, I'm just gonna get straight to the point...so pay attention," She said as she slipped the knife back into her belt, "Even as a strong and resourceful guild, we've been strugglin' to rob the nobility without complications arisin.' We've tried to mimic ya uptight bunch, but it's quite difficult to do so for us damned lot. But, if we could gain a noble of our own, and use 'em to infiltrate the nobility, why, we'd be able to empty their pockets, treasuries, vaults, keeps, and whatever else they store their wealth in with little to any effort. See where I'm goin' with this?"

Renna remained quiet as she gazed at Julina. Her eyes went to Aaelett and Keyon again, her face battling to remain composed.

"Like I have any other choice?"

"Everyone's got a choice, Kitten." Aaelett grunted.

"What if I say no?" Renna asked.

"Stupid questions like that...are rather irritating." Keyon added.

"Do I need to show mi knife again?" Julina replied, unamused by her question.

The girl shook her head.

"Great!" Julina clapped her hands with content. "Since all that's sorted...mi name's Julina. Aaelett is the big guy on my left, while Keyon is the grumpy guy on my right. Maldur will be glad to 'ear that you're good to go."

"Maldur?" Renna repeated.

"The boss," Keyon replied in his same unbothered tone, stepping from the door and joining Julina's side. "If he's not keen on you, then he'll have you killed. If he likes you though...then he'll still possibly have you killed, but not straight away."

Renna's face flushed at his words.

"And on that note, we've gotta start showin' ya 'ow to work the ropes!" Julina said. 

"Sorry?" Renna asked.

"What? Did you really expect to just sit by while we do all the work? Na, yer not in ya fancy keep anymore, Renna. You're in the presence of the damned!"