Chapter 18

Notes:

A/N: Finally, some chaotic fun. Just a single update today and tomorrow, but I think you guys will be pleased! Let me know what you think!

Chapter Text

October 1943

Meg didn't, admittedly, care all that much about some guy named Captain Glenn Dye. She'd heard enough about him from around the base to know that his upcoming 25th mission was supposed to be some sort of a big deal. But with Bucky Egan approaching 25 missions himself in the coming weeks, Meg was hopeful that they would be able to go away for more than just a weekend.

A month together sounded like something out of a far away dream, something she couldn't reach for even if she tried. She longed for a time when they could just be themselves and didn't have to be constantly surrounded by the shroud of war.

It was a sunny day in October when Glenn Dye came flying in for his last mission. Everyone who was anyone had gathered along the edges of the tarmac to see if he would indeed be the first to hit 25. Even Meg, who usually didn't care for such things, had turned up, standing near her brother and his men.

"$5 says Dye comes in with a bang," Alex said, glancing over at his boys.

"I'll take that action," Charlie piped up, a grin crossing his features.

"Me too," Warren added.

"What about you, Meg? You in?" Jimmy questioned, glancing in her direction.

"I'll put $5 on my brother's side," Meg said, a smirk crossing her features. If there was one thing that she was absolutely certain of, it was the fact that her brother had never lost a single bet in the entire time she had been alive. And he wasn't about to go breaking that streak now, so she had full faith in his ability to win that money for them.

Alex had a smug expression on his face—which was immediately soured by the sight of an impending jeep. "Ugh," he murmured, gaze falling on Bucky Egan in the driver's seat.

"Oh come on now, Buck's a nice guy," Meg teased, looking over at her brother.

Her brother gave a mighty huff of annoyance, hands on his hip. "Cleven is just fine—I'd rather you be with him than with Egan."

"Sorry to disappoint," Meg gave a large grin as she ducked away to greet Bucky. At the sight of Meg approaching him, Bucky Egan absolutely lit up. She practically tackled him in a tight hug, cheeks rosy as she pressed a kiss to his cheek. "Hi honey."

Bucky couldn't help the fact that he had a proud grin on his face as he slipped his arms around Meg. The other men of the Hundredth were still getting used to this affectionate and devoted side of Bucky Egan—and it was a strange thing for them to see their formerly usually drunk and womanizing leader so sober and happy.

"Hi sweetheart," Bucky's breath tickled against her ear. Before she could so much as respond to him, men were turning and pointing at the plane in the sky.

"It's Dye!" Hambone exclaimed, standing atop a car excitedly.

True to his words, there was Dye's plane straight ahead in the sky. Colorful flares were lighting up the sky in celebration of his return and cheers erupted from everyone on the base. And as Dye approached, he went on one engine, passing by the tower and nearly causing Colonel Harding and Colonel Lewis to flinch.

"He stole your move!" Bucky exclaimed, shaking his head at Buck.

"He stole Lil!" Buck retorted in annoyance.