87:

At nighttime, the streets of Pantora were dimly lit and almost always empty, thanks to the curfew the Empire had installed when they took power. For once, it worked in Rex's favour - it meant he could slip through the streets unnoticed, as long as he kept his hood up and avoided the areas he knew troopers would be patrolling. Considering who he was escorting, discretion was of the utmost importance.

The hotel stretched up in front of them as he turned into the next corner: they were nearly to the rendezvous. Twenty minutes had passed, which meant it was time for the next check in. "Howzer, I'm approaching with the Senator. What's your status?"

"All clear up top," came the immediate reply. "Greer, is the interior secure?"

"Affirmative," Greer responded. "We're standing by."

"Copy that. Stay alert." Rex let the comm channels go silent with a satisfied nod, keeping a careful eye on his surroundings for any potential threat to the senator he was escorting and his protocol droid.

"I'm not certain it was wise to come out of hiding, Senator," GS-8 hissed to her master, as always concerned for his well being above all else. "It is not safe for us here."

Singh sighed - as much as he appreciated GS-8's concern, sometimes she could take it to the point of irritation. He was tired from hiding without action, not when his people were still suffering under the Empire's oppression. "We're not safe anywhere, GS-8. We must continue on."

"I suppose so." The droid didn't sound entirely convinced, and Rex hastened to cut in before she could lose her nerve.

"Don't worry. My team is in position."

By now they'd reached the back entrance of the hotel - one of the senator guards stood at attention, opening the door for them and letting them pass into the carpeted, well furnished hallways of the hotel. It was certainly nicer than anything Singh and GS-8 had unfortunately had to stay in during the months they'd fled from Raxus. More senator guards and clones lined the walls - normally Singh would have been concerned with the level of security, but he understood why it was necessary in this case. No one knew what kind of ears could be listening in at any time.

"Right this way." Rex gestured down an adjacent hallway, both the protocol droid and the former senator following him to the tucked away room in the corner of the building where his contact waited, busying herself by pouring two steaming cups of tea. "Sorry we're late. I had to take a few extra precautions.

"Of course." Riyo Chuchi stood with a soft smile, her accent lifting her words with a light lilt as she addressed Singh behind Rex. "Senator Singh, thank you for meeting with me. Please, have a seat."

"I'll... leave you to it." And just like that, Rex was gone, leaving the two of them to discuss whatever it was Riyo had wanted him to bring the Raxan senator for. His post was just down the hallway, and it was there he stopped, resting against the wall with his arms folded and carefully observing the corridors for any passing strangers.

It had only been a few minutes when he heard the faint beeps of the comm channel in his helmet pinging - he slid it into place and activated his comm, Howzer's frantic words filling his ears almost immediately.

"Rex, Greer's not responding. Check the kitchen."

His body went rigid and he jerked towards the kitchen, seeing only a faint flash of dark armour and the shine of a scope before he was automatically unslinging a blaster from the holster at his hip, calling out orders to the other guards stationed down the hallway. "Intruder! Protect the Senators!"

Nemec and two of Riyo's guards instantly moved with him, forming a wall in front of Riyo and Singh with blasters raised towards the grate that separated the kitchen from them. The dark armour instantly disappeared, replaced by the ominously familiar sounds of a thermal detonator, clinking as it bounced along the ground. Rex dived for it as soon as he caught sight of the silver, lobbing it back through the way it had come from and taking cover underneath the grate. "Everyone down!"