65:

Emerie Karr walked the corridors of Mount Tantiss, attention firmly fixed on her datapad. The Zillo Beast clone had been recovered with little struggle, though the issue of the entire village of people who had witnessed it was certainly problematic. As was the military-grade vessel that had been sighted in several reports, not to mention escaped. If word was to get out about the Empire's clandestine operations... It would be disastrous, to say the least. But it was the least of her worries now.

"Doctor." She addressed the man who appeared before her, promptly tucking the datapad behind her back. "The creature has been recovered and is now safely secured below."

"Good," the doctor replied simply. "And our other guest?"

"The shuttle is arriving now." He was already moving down the adjoining corridor before she'd even completed her sentence, the clone commando that had accompanied her going with him. Emerie turned back the direction she had come - her work here was done, for now. Best she go and tend to the Zillo Beast clone before it had the chance to break free, again.

The clone commando Scorch moved at a brisk, unforgiving pace, but Royce Hemlock had no trouble keeping up with him, having always ensured he was in peak physical condition himself. What was the point in honing the mind after all, if the body was left to weaken and become frail? "Did any of the villagers see the Zillo?" he asked him now, approaching the landing bay for the shuttle transporting his 'guest'.

"Several," the commando confirmed with a nod. Hemlock's expression did not change - it was unfortunate, and not ideal at all, but civilians could always be dealt with. The loss of the creature was not one he was willing to risk. "The locals have been detained and will be dealt with. However, one vessel escaped our assault. It was a military-class shuttle."

Hemlock's gloved left hand pulsed uncomfortably and he brought it up automatically, massaging it with the other hand. "Find out who it was," he ordered Scorch softly, the clone immediately standing to attention.

"Yes, sir." By the time he had begun his retreat into the base, the shuttle transporting the guest he'd been waiting so patiently for finally landed in front of him, the ramp promptly descending and two more commandos escorting Lama Su, dressed in prison blacks and his usual flat expression, off the shuttle.

"Hello, Prime Minister." Hemlock kept his voice as bland as the Kaminoan's expression. "Apologies. Former Prime Minister." It had not been a blunder, and both of them knew that - Lama Su's expression pinched just a fraction, but it was enough for Hemlock to know he had already gotten under his skin.

"Why have I been brought here?" Nonetheless, Lama Su feigned boredom as easily as Hemlock had.

"The cooperation of your chief scientist has not been forthcoming. Nala Se's defiance is problematic."

"It must be frustrating, to have your resources but lack the expertise to achieve your goals." For the first time, Lama Su let a little of his bitterness bleed into his words. After spending so long securing the Empire's victory, long before the Republic had even known his clones had existed, only to be turned on and thrown in a prison cell with his home razed to the ground, it was only natural he felt entitled to as such. "And if you fail to convince her, it won't be long before you're in a cell like me."

"Hmm." Hemlock tucked his hands behind his back. He'd been expecting as much from Kamino's former prime minister, but it still gave him some modicum of satisfaction, knowing he could wipe away Lama Su's so quickly. "I fear you misunderstand your situation here. If you know of a way to persuade the scientist, now would be the time to mention it."

"Indeed." Years of playing politics meant Lama Su knew how to deal with surprises, even take them in stride. "In exchange for my freedom."

Hemlock didn't particularly want to, but sometimes sacrifices had to be made to achieve the greater good. He needed Nala Se's cooperation if he was to advance his research. If it meant putting in a word to set Lama Su free, so be it. "I'm listening."

"There is a particular clone you must locate. A young girl. She is the key to controlling Nala Se."

A girl. And a clone, no less. Not what he'd expected of Nala Se, but capturing a single child was easier than any of the other methods he'd believed he'd have to resort to. Less messy too. It worked out wonderfully for him.

"How very interesting." He gestured towards the entrance of the base, the invitation clear in itself. "It seems we have much to discuss."