5

Astera:

A pink bolt sparked off the bar next to me. Omega called out a rushed apology and pulled back on the bow's drawstring again, loading another one. The girl had picked up a Zygerrian energy bow on their mission; the four clones were now trying to teach her how to use it. I merely watched on, unable to help the faint smile of amusement hidden underneath my helmet. It was almost cute, the way she tried so hard.

The Batch had come back from their first mission bruised, angry and with a surprisingly docile young rancor in tow. They'd collected their payment and the information they were looking for from Cid, but not before giving her hell for leaving out the very crucial detail of Muchi's species. I'd heard it was an unfortunate habit of hers - it looked like the rumours were true.

Bolo and Ketch cackled to each other when Omega missed her next shot, narrowly avoiding taking out the dejarik table.

"I was doing better until those two showed up," she complained to Echo, who I'd learned was the new member of Clone Force 99. I was sure I saw him die in the Citadel rescue, but somehow he had survived, though he was now more machine than clone. And it just added to the ever growing list of reasons to keep my helmet on. Even on the off chance the others would not recognise me, Echo would be sure to. The former ARC trooper had served as part of the 501st for the better part of the Clone Wars, and with the 212th being so closely associated, we had run several missions together before.

His only response was to lay a hand on her shoulder. "You have to learn to tune out distractions, which comes with practice. Again."

He stood up, and Omega pulled back the drawstring again, powering up the bow. Her arms shook, and the bow wavered, the bolt drifting from the painted target on the other side of the room. With as little strength she had, it was a miracle she had been able to hit the target at all.

"Not exactly a natural, is she- Hey!" Cid smacked Wrecker on the shoulder, cutting him off mid-sentence.

"Play-time's over. We need to talk." Cid turned and began shooing Bolo and Ketch from the parlour. "You two, scram."

They left, grumbling and complaining. I remained where I was, watching Cid explain the mission to the Bad Batch. Something to do with retrieving a Separatist tactical droid.

"Hey!" Wrecker protested again as Cid pushed him off her holotable. She pulled up the objective on the map, a facility on Corellia repurposed to decommission the inactive Separatist droids.

"Tactical droid intel has tremendous value, which is why you're going to break into this facility on Corellia and retrieve one before they're all destroyed."

"We haven't decided if we're gonna work with you or not." Hunter glared at her, who only stared back unflinchingly.

"Allow me to decide for you. You're in! I'm talking a mutually beneficial arrangement," she added, seeing Hunter's face. "You make money, I make money, and I watch your back. It's the best option you've got."

Hunter sighed, the half skull tattooed on the left side of his face tightening as he glanced quickly at Omega. "I guess we're in."

"I know you're in. I just told you you're in. And you," her attention switched to Omega. "You're releasing too soon because of those weak noodle arms. Build up your strength."

She took the bow off the girl, releasing three quick shots in rapid succession. The yellow target sizzled, three neat holes burned into the bullseye. "Lesson over."

She returned the bow to Omega, who took it hesitantly, looking at it with a new sort of wonder.

"Oh yeah, and Ashe is going with you." Cid pointed at me across the room. "This is a very important mission, and you'll need all the help you can get."