Sorry

I didn't know what to say. What Roman said sounded crazy. Honestly at first, I thought he was just making up some crazy shit so I would stop asking questions, but the longer I listened I felt it was true.

I remembered when his mom had died and the suspicious nature of it. I had always thought it was weird because not a lot of information was given out, but I just chalked it up to it being a sensitive topic. Remembering the state Roman was in during that time breaks my heart, and the thought of someone doing that to him and his family makes me angry.

Roman didn't deserve that. His mom and dad didn't either. He was supposed to have a normal childhood and be happy, but he had to turn in to a assassin just to survive. I shivered at the thought. If I was in his shoes, I wouldn't be able to do it. I'd probably already be dead by now.

I stared at his face for a long time, but he refused to make eye contact with me. He looked ashamed and sad of what he just told me, but it wasn't his fault. None of it was. He was just a kid.

I cupped Roman's face in my hands and lifted it so he would look into my eyes. Tears were threatening to spill out as he scanned my face. My heart was breaking for him. I moved my arms around his neck and hugged his body. I wanted to comfort him the best I could.

"It's okay. It's okay.", I whispered into his ear as he cried into my chest.

I rubbed soothing circles on his back to try and calm him down. I could hear his muffled cries slowly coming to a stop as his breathing became steadier and less erratic. When he finally stopped crying, he peeled himself out of my embrace and intwined our hands together while looking into my eyes. I knew I needed to tell him what I was thinking because it would just lead to misunderstandings.

"Roman if I'm being honest, what you told me sounds crazy. It sounds like something out of a movie, and at first I didn't believe it."

His eyes filled with disappointment as he listened. I had to keep going so I could get my point across.

"But.... the longer I listened, I knew you weren't lying. You never lie to me. Yes, you kept secrets, but you never told me something that wasn't true. The thought of you going through that breaks my heart. I wish I would've known so I could have helped you in some way or provide comfort. I just realize how bad of a friend I've been to you, and how you deserve so much more. I'm sorry for doubting you."

"You're not a bad friend. You're everything.", he said.

"I know. I'm just sorry."

"....... I love you.", he said.

My heart stopped. We tell each other we love one another all the time, but this time it felt different. It was like he meant it in a different way, but I didn't know how. I could feel a slight blush creep up on to my cheeks as I stared at him. Wait...... blush? Why am I blushing?

I cleared my throat and said, "I love you too. You're my best friend that no one could replace."

Yeah that sounded good. Hopefully he didn't see me blushing. But as I looked at him, he seemed almost displeased. Like he didn't like what I said. I was confused, but I decided to return to our previous topic.

"Soooooooo now that I know you're a hitman, what's my job?", I asked.

"What do you mean job?", he replied.

"You know a job. Like I could be your sidekick or something."

"No", he said immediately.

"What! Why not? I mean I know I'm not the fastest, or athletic, or in shape person there is, but I'm really smart."

"No Oli. I don't want you anywhere around that shit. You're lucky I didn't yell at you for being there tonight."

"I could be helpful to you. I want to help. Please Roman."

"No."

"Pleaseeeeeeee.", I said cutely.

"...... no."

It's working. "Pleaseeeeeeee Romannnnnnn.", I said.

"........no. I'm not changing my mind, but I'll tell you when I'm going out so you don't worry.", he said.

I knew I wasn't going to win this battle, but that doesn't mean I can't follow him. What he doesn't know won't hurt him, right?

"Fine. You have to tell me everything. No secrets, okay?"

"Alright. No secrets. That goes for you too.", he said.

"I know.", I said while smiling.

Roman smiled back at me before dragging me under the covers. I was tucked carefully in his arms while our legs were intwined.

"Go to sleep. You need to get enough sleep because you still have to go to school.", he said.

"Ummmmm about that. My mom ordered me to stay home and recover from my injuries. Also I'm not mentally ready to face Ryan again."

"When the time comes, you won't be alone. But I guess it's a good thing you don't have to go to school. We can sleep in and cuddle."

I laughed. "Cuddle? You mean you suffocating me in my sleep. You practically lay on top of me.", I said.

"No I don't."

"Uh-huh."

"I don't.", he said while trying to contain his smile.

I jabbed him in the side while laughing. "You're such a liar."

"You're going to regret that.", he said while pouncing on me.

I regretted it. Lord please forgive me of my sins because he is going to kill me. Roman was tickling me so much that I thought all the air was going to leave my lungs. I was gasping for air begging him to stop (that sounds weird.... oh well).

When he finally let up, we stared into each others eyes as our laughter died down. He pulled me back into his arms as we both slowly drifted into slumber. I hoped we would always stay like this, no matter what happens in the future.