53

"It is merely an effect from being close to an Omega after so long," she explained softly. "It does not mean anything. Please, let us continue with the meal. I do not want to cause trouble—"

"You don't seem to understand," Z released her, leaning back still perfuming his scent in the air. "I'm the best Omega you can ever have in this world. I am offering you a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

"I understand. But you can find another Alpha, an Alpha that would like you," Quinn turned her head to Livia, and found the woman plastered to the ground trembling. "Livia would be a good match. Livia knows you, we just met." The Alpha on the ground stilled, seemed to perk up just a little.

"Is this fear?" he pondered, ignored her comment, blinking widely. His tactic switching, he stood now pacing the room. Behind them their audience remained, terrified, and plastered to the ground. The sight of it was almost humorous, and if not for the time-ticking bomb of an Omega before her, Quinn might have laughed. "Are you afraid? Is that why you reject me? Is that why you need time?"

"No, if you're willing to listen then listen," Quinn closed her eyes. The Omega was batshit crazy, that much was true, and he was strong, strong enough to subdue all before him. She might not be influenced by his pheromones but if he raised his hand, she was sure she would not stand a chance. "If you wish to take me against my will, then tell me now. I will obey. Let us not continue this with violence."

Z gaped at her, and flinched back as if burnt. "I'm not—That's not what Omegas do." He appeared scandalized. And he moved forward to her, hands around on her shoulders. He cornered her, with an almost begging whine. "Just tell me, tell me what's wrong. Is it the mask? Is there an Omega out there—"

"I just don't know you!" she cried; head tilted upwards, eyes opening, cornered and confused. "I don't care if you smell like my favourite cookies in the world. I'd only mate with someone who loves me for who I am. Someone who consents to what I'd do not because of the law. I don't want to do this just because we have to, just because I'm attracted to you. I'd only do it for a soulmate." She met his eyes then. "Only for someone who's the other half of my soul. And I'd wait for them, from this life to the next. Forever. No one else."

It was odd that there was no fear in her when she looked at him now. Him with his red eyes, him with his anger. Only it didn't feel like anger, thick and wet in the air. There was tension, pressed tight against her. She felt sick for feeling her heart quickened like an idiot, for a gasp to lodge in her throat at the sight of him.

At the relief spilling from his eyes.

Because there was a crazed drip of respite in his eyes, a strange wet liberation that poured from almost teary orbs. And it was strange to see it, so clearly there as if he cared whether or not she wanted him as he fell to his chair in a shaky lump. A ragged, whimpered exhale escaping his lips. It was a juxtaposition between the almost tearing cry-baby masked man and the sea of tortured Omegas and Alphas around them.

For before her Hyeon was sweating, pressed down, hunched against his knees as if it hurt to look, hurt to stand. Livia plastered to the ground, head on the wood. And yet Quinn remained on her seat, staring at a beautiful crazy, teary Omega unaffected by whatever he was pumping into the air.

"Oh, so there's no one else," he whispered, wiped his eyes with the back of his hand. Z tilted back his head and laughed, he laughed so hard it bubbled from him like a fountain, mad giggles spilling. And it echoed across the room in peals of joy before he stopped to wipe the stray tears. "God," he whispered, "I see, I smell like your favourite cookies." He purred, so quiet it could only be heard by her. "That's good."

He cleared his throat then, and Quinn looked at him as if he'd grown two heads.

"You speak of soulmates as if they are true," Z said, tilted his head, childish demeanour returning, friendliness back. The red was gone from his eyes, replaced with a doe-like hazel. "It is a term of endearment for mates. And the fey use the word for bonded packmates after the bite. But to treat it so seriously, to treat it as truth...You must be quite romantic—"

"It's true," Quinn answered, eyes firm. "I've seen it happen."

This world did not know of the weight of a soulmate, had not studied the effects of it as Quinn's world had. And its manifestations were not just as strong in the form of marks and bond. But penned into the paper, the author had been clear that it existed, that the mechanics were similar. That the seven men Euodia had wronged were truly soulmates.

And for Quinn, she'd seen it in the wastelands between Alphas, seen it in the pack Omegas that were just a little closer. It was there, the bond between souls. In that case, even for Quinn there was a slim chance that she had a soulmate waiting for her to find. And perhaps that was the reason for her reincarnation into this forsaken land.

Quinn's heart throbbed, longing seeping free. Perhaps, there would be happiness for her one day.

Z raised a brow. "You speak of Alphas and Omegas?" he snorted, and rolled his eyes. "Omegas have no need for Alphas it has been made very clear." There was a hitch in his voice, a strange break that had her glancing at him.

"Soulmates are very different." She licked her lips. "It occurs between Omegas and between Alphas as well." She continued speaking, continued explaining. "A soulmate disregards biology. You may not know the person; you may not care for the person. But your souls will recognise one another from another life, from another world."

"And you've seen this?" Z asked, voice wavering.

"Yes, although many do try to fight its hold to gain autonomy." Quinn nodded, wondered if it was too much information, too much knowledge of discovery this world had yet to find. "But I know that if one dies, the other will follow. And only close will they both feel well and whole. One can never harm the other. For going against it will be like ripping out your own soul. You cannot kill that person no matter how hard you tried. To kill your soulmate would be like killing yourself."

There was a clatter. Z was standing, wide-eyed and staring at her. A strange look in his eyes. "You lie." He moved, feet rushing. "You lie just to get away from me." His voice was pitched, a whir of almost panic. "You're lying." He swept away, stomping out of the room, coat pulled tight.

The door slammed.

And the room rose into an uproar of noisy chatter.