19

The death of his child was a prophecy that he foretold. He saw it in the crumble of flower frost and the withered stems of dandelions in their meadow.

Two had known that Euodia would change the moment she stopped coming to their abandoned hut in the West gardens of the palace—the place where they'd met, the beginnings of their love story. But he had waited for days, hoping for her arrival with lilacs clutched between tight fists, and bees kissing stung cheeks.

The gardens had been his oasis once. A gorgeous nirvana of flowers that bled pastel otherworldly blues and was heavy with a cloud of romanticism that could not leave each blade of dew sleeked grass. Then the meadow, rolling hills of sweet grass that had once held all the laughter and joy in his world.

But the sun that day had been particularly unforgiving—an orange yolk that revealed the heated truth, and the air was hot and muggy. Through the drip of sweat soaked curls he'd seen his first vision of her. His first and only vision in his life.

The God.

He couldn't call her a Goddess, no, not with the connotations to the word for she was anything but.

She stood before a waterfall, looked as if she'd been at the edge of the world, dark hair that curled to stretch attention towards the pitch-black ink of sweet lash-lined eyes. She was wrapped in leather belts to keep the billowing cloth tight against her breast, trousers thick with pockets and bulging with tools.

There was a smirk on her lips, her body so muscular with strength that when she flexed sinews rippled. She was pink with health and golden from the sun, lips so red they looked like blood. And covering her face was the dance of brilliant, blue light a panel that hissed and buzzed and hid.

But even that couldn't hide her eyes, not from him, never from him.

His neck had throbbed, the jerk of his scent gland, there was the ghost of teeth dug within flesh and his cock had swelled for the first time in his young life. His tongue was thirsty for something far more delicious than simply just cold, clean, crisp water. It wanted a sweetness he did not understand, a forbidden fruit that lurked in the beyond.

He had been filled with a strange surge of dread.

"Heard that you were looking for this guy," was the voice that spewed from her lips. It was softer than what he anticipated, sweet and mellow like fresh apple juice squeezed from the source. It was the wind at the creek, soft, cold, and refreshing.

He ran when the vision ended, escaped into the barracks with tears in his eyes. He didn't want her, no, he wanted Euodia. The little girl that was his best friend, the little girl that loved him. The princess that gave him everything he needed to survive when the rest of the world wanted him dead.

Solar was a naïve little orphan, loyal to anyone that stretched out their hands and fed him with the scraps from their plate. He'd been nothing more than a dog when he fell to Euodia's feet, his back laced with scars from the training.

Solar was the strongest soldier against the Lonely simply because he could predict their every move.

And Solar was deadly.

He felt danger deep within his gut and relished in its presence. Psychic knowledge didn't come to him in visions and dreams like the other seers did. It came burning through his bones like energy that dragged him through each step. It was a force that willed him to live, to stretch his wings and slit the throat of his enemies.

He read each beast like the back of his hand, danced into the battlefield with two swords, not a gun. He slayed them without mercy and returned to the kingdom with wagons full of bodies. And yet he didn't trust the voice when it spoke of Euodia.