Chapter 3: Rescue, Part 3

Start from the beginning

He winces in sympathy but doesn't comment on the action. "She's definitely an Opalian." Without another word he moves back to his horse. My eyes widen, and my mouth drops open as he counts out 20 gold pieces from one of his saddle bags. That's 50 silver more than what Meyers paid for her!

Quinn chuckles at my expression. "Bring your horse over here so we can get her saddled."

I grab her lead and walk to Quinn as Xander heads back into the inn. "Technically, now she's Xander's horse." I can't help but grumble under my breath. Liam chuckles, and I look up at him in surprise as I walk past. He has really good hearing.

"You hold her bridle while I get her saddled." Quinn directs. I nod and watch him work. Surprisingly, Petra is on her best behavior. The sassy girl didn't always cooperate when Charlie and I would saddle her, not that we ever had much opportunity. Meyers kept us both too busy for much outside of work. He finishes saddling her and then situates the saddlebags, even going so far as to grab my pack, blankets, and the cloak from where I left them inside. My items he packs away and the cloak he throws at Liam, hitting him square in the face as he walks towards us.

Liam growls and grabs it, "Really?"

Quinn just laughs and turns to me; I drop my head quickly to avoid eye contact. "We'll get you your own in the next big town we pass through. We should get there before temperatures cool today, but if you get cold before then, let us know, and you can use one of ours."

I nod my head automatically, already knowing I won't say a word.

Liam grunts, "Xander will tell us when you're cold, and then you'll use a cloak to get warm."

"You're hurt. You don't need to be sick as well." Quinn adds.

I nod again, frowning slightly. How would Xander know if I got cold?

Quinn steps closer to me, and I stiffen. He slowly reaches out and touches my chin to tilt my head so I'm forced to meet his eyes again. "Speaking of injuries, I'd like to look at those hands before we go. Is that alright?"

I fidget and drop my head but hold my hands out all the same.

Quinn gently unwraps my bandages and curses quietly at the angry wounds, inspecting them closely. He holds my hands for a moment, and I feel a warm tingling start-up in them again. It intensifies for a moment, almost burning, before it fades back to faint tingles where he touches me. He sighs and then steps over to his horse and rummages in the saddlebags for a moment before pulling out a small container of paste, a bottle of brown pills, and clean bandages. I try to keep quiet as he applies the paste but can't help the small whimper that escapes when he touches a particularly tender spot. Quinn immediately apologizes, and Liam lets out a short growl from where he's watching a few feet away.

"It looks like you did a good job caring for them. I don't see anything that I can address immediately. I don't have much with me in terms of medical supplies, but this salve will ease some of the pain and help prevent infection. Do you have any other serious or painful injuries?"

I lie and shake my head no.

Liam growls, and Quinn calls me on it. "You're lying, but I don't sense anything life-threatening, so I won't force the issue. If the pain is too much and you need to stop and rest while we're riding, let us know." He hands me two of the pills and a canteen of water. "This is Capernulum. It's a pain reliever and anti-inflammatory. It might make you a bit drowsy but will make travel easier."