Chapter 3: Rescue, Part 3

Cassie

As the men lead their horses out into the yard, I can't help but stop by Petra. She's pacing in her stall, but calms when I approach. I lean my pack against her stall with the blankets and cloak carefully balanced on top, then turn to wrap my arms around her neck. I hug her tight, and she nuzzles me back. I squeeze my eyes shut in a failed attempt to keep the tears at bay. It seems like all I've done today is cry. I sniffle once and step back, giving her forehead a scratch.

"Goodbye, sweet girl, I'll never forget you," I whisper, ignoring the burning in my throat.

I turn and startle, nearly crashing right into Quinn. He quickly steadies me and then tips my chin so I meet his gaze again. Once he's satisfied I won't look away, he shifts his hand to gently wipe a stray tear from my cheek. He's silent, just quietly studying my face before looking back at Petra. He nods as if deciding something and drops his hand. "Is she saddle broke?"

I nod and make a 'so, so' gesture with my hand.

"Good enough for me." He smirks, a mischievous little half-grin lighting up his face as he turns and heads for the tack room. "You know, you're going to have to actually talk to me eventually, Luv. Not all questions can be answered with a head nod."

He glances back over his shoulder, waiting for a response. So I nod again.

He shakes his head and laughs, "Where's her saddle?"

I follow him in and point out the supplies. I'm not really relishing the thought of talking unnecessarily with the way my throat is. Quinn gathers everything I point out and grabs some extra saddlebags as well. I frown in confusion and follow him as he moves out into the yard. He sets everything down except the bridle next to where the chocolate-colored horse is dancing in place excitedly, already saddled. I watch in shock as he returns to the barn and slides Petra's stall door open. He deftly bridles her before leading her over next to her gear.

Xander looks up from where he's just finishing with his dark-colored bay. "Quinn, what are you doing?"

Saddling her horse, what does it look like?" He responds cheerfully.

"S-she's not my horse. S-she belongs to M-Meyers." I wheeze out, my bruised throat burning. I then drop my head and wrap my arms protectively around my stomach, bracing myself for the retaliation of speaking out of turn. They need to know. As much as I love her, she isn't mine; they'd get in trouble for stealing her. When no blow comes, I risk a glance up. All three of them are watching me, sadly.

Quinn perks up quickly, flashing me his mischievous smirk again. "Are you sure about that?" He drops Petra's reins. She immediately turns and trots to me, gently nudging my chest with her nose. I hug her head and pet down her neck.

Xander walks forward, but before he can get close, Petra snorts and turns her body, effectively blocking him from reaching me. Surprisingly, he seems pleased by the response. "Do you know how much DeReins paid for her?"

"150 silver pieces for her and her gear."

He frowns. "Only 150 for an Opalian mare? Are you sure?"

Opalian? That doesn't make sense. That's a magic species. No one around here would have one. "Positive, but I'm pretty sure she's just a horse?" My voice cracks a bit on the last word, and I gently rub my sore throat.