PROLOGUE | Chapter 1

Sky of Regrets

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The enemy's twin-engine fighter, judging from its silhouette, is likely a P-38 Lightning. It's a formidable opponent with a nickname as the "Fork-Tailed Devil," armed with high speed and heavy weaponry. Despite being subjected to a torrent of fierce machine gun bullets spewing from that aircraft, the pilot continued to evade them with desperate maneuvers. Even an amateur can tell; it's a skilled pilot.

Facing bullets coming from all directions, he managed to minimize the damage so far. However, the vast difference in speed and maneuverability between the Type 1 land attack bomber (Mitsubishi G4M) and the P-38, despite both being twin-engine planes, posed a significant challenge. Moreover, there were multiple enemies, and the P-38 kept relentlessly attacking from behind. The rear machine gun, their only hope, had long gone silent. Maybe it's been knocked out. Amidst the constant shaking of the aircraft, the man continued to contemplate with closed eyes.

"Where did I go wrong...?"

There were plenty of regrets. During the Battle of Midway last year, he failed to convey the signs of enemy carriers operating in the vicinity to the headquarters of the 1st Carrier Division at that time. Even if he had, it's uncertain whether the four carriers that sank then would have been saved. Nevertheless, such a unilateral defeat should have been avoided. The same goes for the attack on Pearl Harbor. While it was hailed as a great success within the Imperial Navy, it might have served as a stark reminder to the United States of the immense power held by aircraft. Waves of remorse flood his mind, thinking of what could have been done differently.

In the midst of it all, a massive impact jolted the aircraft. Outside the window, everything turned red. It's likely either the fuel tank or the engine itself was ablaze. As a result, the plane rapidly dived, not due to intentional descent but probably because of insufficient engine power. The earth loomed closer beyond the fiery inferno.

"It's over now..." he murmured in despair.

A few moments later, amidst another huge shock, the man lost consciousness.

. . .

It was a fierce low-pressure system. Even the Type 2 flying boat (Kawanishi H8K), boasting the Imperial Navy's largest frame, struggled to maintain altitude, making it difficult to fly straight. Whether it was due to the weather's influence or the haste to take off without thorough pre-flight checks to escape the enemy task force's attack, one of the four engines had completely stopped, and another was experiencing unstable output. Yet, with the skill of a veteran pilot, perhaps they could make it to Davao even in this desperate situation.

He didn't resort to praying to any gods, but he still hoped for the skill of his fellow crew members. He, who had not yet had the opportunity to lead a major naval battle strategy as the Commander-in-Chief of the Combined Fleet, prayed. He wanted to somehow survive this situation, accumulate strength, and face the decisive battle with the US Fleet with the newly formed 1st Mobile Fleet.

However, the gods of the sky or the gods of the wind were merciless. Despite the captain's desperate maneuvers, the flying boat lost balance, exhausted its strength, and crashed into the sea. He, who had dreamed of a showdown with the American fleet, had not yet spent a year as the Commander-in-Chief of the Combined Fleet.

. . .

The war's end had already been announced via a radio broadcast of the Emperor's voice. Japan had fought valiantly but in vain. It was regrettable, but from now on, no one else would have to die. Still, the man had no intention of surviving the post-war period alone. He was an executive of the organization that had sent countless young people on suicide missions, ordering them to die. Therefore, he would follow the young men who had fallen before him. It was a violation of orders. He knew there would be criticism and problems as a military man.

During the sortie, there should have been over ten Suisei, but now there were none to be found. Only Grummans continued to attack one after another. The pilot desperately evaded the gunfire, but it wouldn't last much longer.

As the last kamikaze unit, he had already prepared himself for death. However, deep down, as a naval officer of the Imperial Navy, he had wanted to die at sea or on the deck of a battleship where he had devoted years of study and passion, locked in combat with an enemy battleship. In the midst of such conflicting thoughts, a massive impact blew away his consciousness.