Part 29

When they arrived downstairs, Fot was shocked to see another guest seated at the dining room table.

"Gem? Why are you here?"

"He is our guest. Now hurry up and sit down so we can start eating." his dad said.

Fot sat down next to Gem and leaned towards him to whisper. "What's happening?"

Gem moved closer so he could whisper back to him. "We had a conversation about us and my love for you last night while your dad was packing our dinner. He told me that I needed to get some rest first, so we didn't speak much. They therefore inquired as to whether I'd be able to visit and give a formal introduction today as your suitor."

"Right now? You're doing it today?"

"Is something wrong with it?" His dad asked, happened to have a hint on what they were whispering about.

In response, Fot shook his head and pursed his lips. They ate when his parents motioned for them to. Gem's hand is shaking, and Fot can see it. Despite his nervousness, he is making an effort to remain calm.

When Fot's father cleared his throat in the middle of their lunch, everyone turned to pay attention, especially Gem, who sat up straight and faced him.

"So.." Fot's dad crossed his arms and intently stared at Gem. "Tell me what your intention is with my son."

Gem first took a sip of water before speaking. "I want to officially ask your permission, sir, if I can court your son. If you ask me why I love him, it's because he is the most sincere, loveable, and sweetest person I've ever known. He makes me comfortable and, most importantly, he makes me smile. I do things I fear to do before; it's all thanks to him. I want to be by his side all the time."

"Seems scripted.." His dad mumbled, which received a slap on the arm from his husband.

"I heard that this is your first time falling in love. How can we assure that you really love our son and that you will continue to do so in the future?" His papa asked.

"I admit I haven't fallen in love before. But I get to experience happiness and love because of Fot. I am trying my best to understand and make sure that I will not hurt Fot. There are still a lot to learn to be honest, but for Fot, I will gladly do everything."

"Thank you for loving our son, Gem. I hope the happiness and love you feel will continue as long as you're together." his papa said.

"So.. does this mean you approve of us?" Fot happily asked his parents.

His dad scoffed and leaned towards them. "Who says I approve of your relationship?"

Fot and Gem looked at one another, and their smile slowly faded.

"D-Dad.."

"Do you think you saved our son, and I will immediately approve of your relationship? Just because you have a job now, does that mean I can easily give you my son and be content with his future? No. I want to see that the person who will be with my son is someone I can trust. I don't want to see him hurt. Right now, I don't trust you."

Gem sat up properly and faced his dad. "Then.. then I'll do anything to prove it to you. I'll do anything to gain your trust."

Fot's parents looked at each other before looking back at them. Fot feels nervous about this. He has no idea what his parents are planning to tell Gem.

"What I want you to do is leave my son alone. I don't want you to continue courting my son."

Gem and Fot were too shocked to talk. It seems unreal to them that they would find themselves in a situation like this. Fot has no idea what to do or say now that he is no longer certain that his parents would approve of Gem.