20. - Penny-Pincher

Magsimula sa umpisa

Upon the sight, Samuel backs away. Despite his willingness to fight, he knows he is still too weak to risk his life, especially over wounded pride. From the rumors spread in his gang's hideout, he knows the new gang in town poses a serious threat, especially with their habit of poaching his gang members. "Mereka pengen ngancurin pengaruh kita. (They want to destabilize our influence,)" his capo, Mr. Darmesta, once said.

Although he longs for his capo to train him in combat, especially with the karambit, he understands he is still too young. As an eight-year-old, he knows he has to bide his time, perhaps until he is eleven or twelve, provided the authorities don't send him back to a corrupt orphanage where unsuspecting children are sold to criminals. Luckily for Samuel, he's already problematic during his time in the orphanage, so accustoming himself to the criminal life at a young age is a piece of cake. 

Busking in the streets may not be as glamorous as taking part in a criminal operation or, better yet, puppeteering an entire soldier of men willing to fight for their master. Still, Samuel sees what he's doing as a means to support his only family — the one that won't abandon him, like his biological parents or the orphanage that sold him. And if having to look like a helpless child is his starting point to rise to where he wants, so be it.

Choosing to take a breather instead, Samuel settles in front of a convenience store, purchasing a box of jasmine tea with the money he pilfers from a passerby. Nestled on the stoop, he fans himself with his cap, relishing the cool drink. Nearby, a pudgy rhino chats on his Nokia phone, absentmindedly tucking a messy clump of money into his back pocket, inadvertently dropping a ten-thousand rupiah bill. Seizing the opportunity, Samuel snatches the bill, concealing it between his drink box and his hand. Feigning ignorance, he watches as the man rides off on his motorbike before he puts the bill inside the makeshift container.

Once the oppressive heat has eased under the canopy's shade, Samuel resumes his mission to busk with his ukulele. He decides it's safe to return to the previous intersection, deeming it the most secure spot for his endeavors. Plus, he still has approximately eleven thousand rupiahs left to earn. "Kalo kita bisa ngumpulin tiga puluh ribu dari masing-masing empat puluh anak, kita bisa punya 1,2 juta rupiah, nak. (If we accumulate thirty thousand from all forty children, we will have 1.2 million rupiahs, kid,)" his capo once said. So, he plucks away at his ukulele from noon until evening, ignoring the carpal tunnel on his wrist and the sore on his fingers.

As the city's Isha prayer call resounds around 7 PM, Samuel heads back to the gang's hideout alone, proud to have surpassed the minimum target. After counting his earnings twice, he finds he's gathered around forty thousand rupiahs. Anticipating his boss's approval and a potential bonus, Samuel ambles with a smile that doesn't seem to fade.

That is until a foot emerges out of nowhere, causing Samuel to stumble and crash onto the ground as he rounds a corner. Swift reflexes prevent him from face-planting, but he still earns minor road rash on his palm. Rising with a scowl, he realizes he's surrounded by eight figures — children from the rival gang. 

"Gue ngeliat lu tadi di daerah kita. (I saw you on our turf.)" A scruffy-looking small boar growls, his feet caked with dirt.

Understanding what's happening, the cat clenches his mandible. "Tapi gue langsung cabut. Mao apa kalian? (But I left. What do you want?)" Samuel glares at all the children.

"Bukan kita, tapi abang kita yang mao ngomong sesuatu sama lu. (Not us, but our big brother has something to say.)" The small boar gestures toward a slender figure approaching from behind Samuel. Turning, he finds the same brown wolf who was watching him earlier.