𝟎𝟏. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫'𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐥

━━━━━━ ◦ ❉ ◦ ━━━━━━

━━━━━━ ◦ ❉ ◦ ━━━━━━

𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐀 𝐍𝐎𝐑𝐌𝐀𝐋 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐈𝐍 𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐃𝐎𝐍 for Gracelyn Black-Lupin, unlike no other that summer. The sun shone through a break between her black curtains, causing the young girl to wake up from her slumber. Of course, her younger siblings, Hope and James took part in awakening their older sister, screaming at each other from the kitchen. This was most likely caused by James apparently making Hope's belongings disappear from time to time. The twins were a year younger than Gracie, but that didn't make them any less annoying.

Only days ago, July twenty-third to be exact, Gracie had turned eleven years old. Hoping that her letter would arrive this morning, or in the next couple of days, this would be the year she started at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Both her parents and uncle Remus studied at the school, making Gracelyn a half-blood witch, due to her mother's blood status. However, like the rest of her family, she didn't care much for blood status. She was bound to make friends with multiple half-bloods and even muggle borns during her school years, as well as a few purebloods. That was if her letter were to arrive.

Gracie pushed the duvet off of her body and stepped into a pair of reindeer slippers, matching with her Christmas pyjama set. Her mum, Lilliana Black-Lupin, and uncle Remus had bought her them last Christmas as one of her gifts. She did enjoy gaining a new set every year to add to her growing collection. The two usually bought gifts together, due to not earning enough for separate gifts from each of them. Sure, it was the middle of summer, but Gracie couldn't care less about wearing the themed clothing months early. After having finally stood up from her messy bed, Gracie picked up the small, navy blue hair brush from her bedside table. Well, it wasn't exactly a bedside table, but more or less a large pile of books. Among Gilderoy Lockhart's complete collection and various other muggle works, sat a signed copy of 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them'. It was a family heirloom, seeing as her mother previously owned it. The book, she had received for her ninth birthday, was now one of her most prized possessions. She read it over and over again, almost every single night, having memorized almost all the information and leaving little side notes in the margins. Leaning next to the makeshift table was a burgundy violin case, another of the girl's enjoyments. She had studied the instrument at a young age. She brushed through multiple knots in her dark brown hair, from yet another restless night. Gracie plucked a small, wooden, hand-held mirror from the book pile and brought it up to the height of her face. Her reflection sighed as she noticed heavy bags under her brown eyes. She put the mirror and brush back in their places on the book pile, letting out yet another small sigh, before heading out of her room.

During her time of getting up, the screaming downstairs had only gotten worse. A more feminine, high-pitched voice, most likely Hope Black-Lupin, shouting at her brother, "Get back here you slime ball!". Her twin, James Black-Lupin, yelling back at her, "Maybe if you stopped calling me a slime ball!", and an older voice intervening every now and then. As Gracie reached the landing, the older voice called out that breakfast was ready, causing the twin's shouting to automatically stop, followed by a pounding of feet in the direction of the voice. The staircase was very creaky, although no one knew why. James had once told Hope that it was the ghost of a dark wizard that followed You-Know-Who just to scare her. It involved Hope avoiding the stairs at all costs for an entire week. However, due to the loud noises it created, it was quite obvious when someone was either going up or down them.