Old friend

Published: 11 - 4 – 2024

The mood in the ship was dreadful after leaving Tarnax. "I'm going to her asking if the Skrulls can stay there for a bit." I say to Carol who was standing next to me. She gave me no answer but instead a small nod. I could see in the corner of my eye that she followed me, probably wanting to avoid any conversation with the others.

"Transmission sent." The automatic voice says once I've messaged her. Carol sight quietly before turning towards the group. "Hey." Carol says walking over Emperor Dro'ge. "This peace treaty, it was a good thing." He explains. "It was a ruse." She corrects. "If it were, your intervention failed. We don't need your help anymore." He says. "Lia and I called a friend." Carol says to him, her voice a little bit louder than before. "She can find a safe place for you." I explain to him while I stand next to Carol. "Is that okay?" Carol asks him. "We have no choice." He answers turning his back against us and sits next to a Skrull. "Incoming" Monica announces while the device beeps.

I look at Carol before she walks away, me trailing behind her. A light beams appears and Valkyrie appears on the ship. Carol quickly walks over to her. "Are you alright?" Valkyrie asks her. Carol gives her a hug before answering. "Thank you again." Carol says, her voice low. "Always." Valkyrie answers before quickly turning to me, signalling to me to come closer to them before she gives me a hug as well. "I see that you guys finally found yourself a team." Valkyrie says. "It is unintentional." Carol explains. "Oh, I've been on some unintentional teams myself." Valkyrie says with a small laugh.

"I know but..."Carol trails off looking at me while I offer her a soft smile. "You can stand tall without standing alone. I know you've got Thalia but having other people on you guys little team might be a good experience. For both of you." Valkyrie explains, her attention focused on me during her last sentence. "Take it from me Marv." Valkyrie says to Carol after seeing the doubt on Carol her face. She quickly give Carol a kiss on the cheek before she quickly give me a hug.

"Goodbye Val." I say before walking over to Kamala standing next to her and Monica while Carol still stands by Valkyrie. The group off Skrulls walk over to us. "Hey, Captain Marvel will fix this. Promise" Kamala says to a child before ging the teddy back she was holding. Once the group of Skrulls stand around Valkyrie, Carol walks towards me. She wraps an arm around my waist while leaning slightly into my side. "May our next meeting be joyful." Val says before she and the group Skrulls disappears.

*time skip*

Carol was downstairs in the ship repairing something while Monica Kamala and I were upstairs. "I'm gonna check in on Carol. You guys are going to be alright without me?" I ask the other two who here with me. "Yeah... everything will be fine." Monica says, her gaze landing on Kamala. I nod before I head downstairs. "Hey, is everything okay?" I ask Carol once I see her standing by the machines. "Yeah, just have to replace something and then we'll be off." Carol says, looking in my eyes. "You know that's not what I'm talking about." I look at her. "I'm fine Lia, just tired." She says, this time avoiding eye contact. "We've know each other for about 20 years and you still don't realise I can see through lies." I say to her, a small smile on my face. I walk over to where she's standing and hold her hands. "Everything will be back as it was, we'll fix it together." I promise her. A give her a kiss before I turn around to go back upstairs. "Call me if you need help." I say to her, walking up the stairs. "I don't need help, thank you."

Once I arrive upstairs I only see Monica sitting by the desk. "Monica, could you please help Carol. She needs some help with something but I have no clue how to." I ask her. "Uh... sure." Monica says before she head to the stairs to help Carol. I take a seat by the desk trying to pass the time. After a few minutes Kamala emerges from the bathroom with wet hair and Carols clothes. "Miss Romanoff... I hope you don't mind I used the shower." Kamala says awkwardly. "It's okay." I assure her while I walk over to her. "How are you dealing with all of this? I mean I'm sure you've never fought in space." I ask her. "Good..." She answers nervously. "Good." I answer, deciding to let the lie she just told slide away.