Chapter 13

TW: Suicidial ideation

Zuko's POV:

I felt a tender stroke on my forehead. As quick the caress was, it fleeted. I longed for the loving touch to caress me once more. Before I could protest my desires, I felt a peck on my cheek. The kiss was earnest and shy. The kiss was definitely done by none other than my lovely...

"S-Sokka"

"Did I wake you?" he cooed.

"No, I was awake," I protested. He simply shrugged in disbelief.

"So, how was the war meeting?" I asked curious of what had transpired. My curiosity was justified. The meeting took awfully long.

"I-uh, how is your hand doing," he stuttered.

"Sokka, why are-"

"Let me bandage them again," Sokka urged.

My heart dropped. Something bad happened, didn't it. I wanted to press more but his sorrowful eyes desperately countered any further thought I had. I relented from arguing and went along.

The atmosphere was tense considering Sokka clearly hid something from me. I wished to ease the suffocating aura so I simply hummed a quite tune Uncle used to sing. I figured that would calm my nerves a bit. Despite my initial expectations, the anxiety stilled bubbled deep inside. At least my action seemed to ease my alpha's furrowed brows. I was wedged between the sickening tune, and the sickening heart ache. I allowed him his time before I asked him once again. I simply needed an answer.

"What happened today," I asked.

"N-nothing! Nothing much,"

He really said nothing much in the most unconvincing manner. Sometimes I wonder how we were going to fool my father and sister of our undying loyalties. Although I didn't mind seeing him fidget under my gaze.

"Nothing really!" oh really? "Only that everyone knows about day of black sun, I might've beaten someone to a pulp and your dad got upset and said something about an-what was it call... an Agni Kai! Yeah that! Nothing really,"

Agni Kai... no... anything but that...

"Please father," I begged, "I-I'm sorry I spoke out of turn!"

"Fight for your honor," he coldly stated.

I knelt down to my knees to show him I still respected him. I just stupidly spoke. An honest mistake! One I would never make again.

"I meant no disrespect!" I begged once again to deaf ears, "I won't fight you."

My eyes fogged and the ground blurred with every second. I felt the vibrations of his footsteps and the heat of his flames neared.

"You will learn respect..." I looked at him and accepted my fate. His hand that was engulfed in fiery flames hit the side of my face. I couldn't hear anything but ringing and pure pain. I probably screamed pathetically or just died. Death was better than the pain I felt. The pain of my father marring my face.

"Please father," I begged, "I'm sorry.". Why am I sorry?

"Please!"

"I am sorry!"

"Suffering will be your teacher,"

My face itched and burned with raging indescribable pain.

"Please fathe-,"

"Zuko, please! Answer me!" I heard a desperate yet distant voice.

"I meant no disrespect!"