Chapter 6

TW: Panic Attack and Child abuse

Zuko's POV:

Tell him.

I needed to tell him! I needed to tell him before he gets word from my sister or father! I had wanted to come clean beforehand, but I never found the right time. There never was. I was far too scared and vulnerable! I was in my heat! I didn't know how he would react to my secret!

Time was an essence. I had to tell him before anybody else did. He didn't know the context and the orchestrated lies. I needed to explain that I didn't really kill the avatar, yet I did come with my sister willingly? Not to mention I did fought the avatar and his sister at Ba Sing Se. Would he even believe me? To this point his forgiving nature could be that he pitied me. In his eyes, I was a helpless omega prince who was captured and sent home from his alpha sister. Not someone who took part in the murder of the Avatar!

He also didn't know that Azula's deathly blow didn't actually kill him. I knew it didn't. I felt it in my bones, he was alive. It adds up considering Katara offered to heal my scars with her miracle spirit water.

That is why I planned this outing. I wanted him to be in a good mood before I revealed my unwanted secrets. I thought I was prepared for his hatred, yet I was hesitating. I felt immense guilt that leeches his soul, but the thought of losing him was far more painful.

At the moment I was about to drop the unsavory topic, I felt Sokka's caring touch on my thigh. I looked at his comforting blue eyes, and I knew I had to tell him. At least something.

"Sokka," I paused.

I opened my mouth, but then I felt eyes. We were being watched. I hand-picked this secluded area by the turtle suck pond because it provided some privacy for the confidential information I was about to drop. Still, I felt someone else. Paranoia consumed me. Was it Azula that ordered or father? Well, Azula was preoccupied this morning. She cried on me.

This was still too dangerous, but I have to tell him. Maybe I could tell him in increments? Slowly build up until I have the courage to tell him the entirety.

"My father is a cruel man, and-and he will exploit our bond," I said confusingly, "What I am trying to say is, please promise... Promise me it will never get to that point."

His reaction was unexpected. Far better than I initially hoped. Almost instinctively, he stole a hug. His embrace nearly startled me to death. I only expected him to say something.

I was too deep in shock to hear his faint voice. Surely, I thought he was going to call me dumb to believe there was even a hint of a bond. Not to mention he was comforting me when I admitted to weakness? I showed that I was scared but he never called me pathetic or raised his voice like father would have done. Except father didn't even accomplish that today.

He also didn't know that I was still hiding something. I was happy for his positive response, but I also felt guilt for not telling him the whole truth. Surely then, he would show anger. Maybe he was pitying me this whole time...

"So, why this place?" Sokka interrupted.

I was pulled to so many vivid memories. The memories were all of my mother and I spent here. Some were even of Uncle. My heart ached. My mother's beautiful laugh and lovely smile were one of a kind.

"This was our spot... My mother and I," I said distantly.

"Wait... was?"

"Yes, she..."

"Zuzu! Sorry to interrupt your time with your, erm-peasant. Dad said he wanted you to start your omega studies," she said. I knew someone was watching us. Good thing I didn't say anything compromising.