Chapter 1 - A Call for Freedom

Start from the beginning

"Let's just say what you'll find can absorb the corruption affecting Stormterror," Venti explained. "I haven't seen it before, but I can sense it. The entire temple is even taken over by the corruption affecting Dvalin. Except, this time you will fight them in physical form. The vault is just one room and has a crystal up in the sky. I didn't see anything else because I had to leave pretty quickly."

"Why?" Paimon asked.

"That's because the vault is so corrupted that even the air is poisoned. The inside is nothing but a haze that will make intruders grow sick before they succumb to the poison. However, the traveler seems to have the ability to purify corruption and can most likely be the only one that can enter." Venti smiled. "A great contender to do the job! I can't think of anyone better!"

"What!!" Paimon stamped her feet. "But Piamon can't purify corruption!"

"Oh, that is a good point." Venti hummed. "I suppose you'll have to stay out here with me..."

"Wha-! No! I will not stay here with tone-deaf bard!" Paimon grew angry.

"Well, it's either that or get sick."

"Paimon can't believe this-!"

"Is there anything we should be on the lookout for?" Lumine, the blonde traveler, asked.

"No! You can't go without Paimon!" The small white-haired grew yelled.

"Oh, someone with your skills should be able to take care of things easily," Venti stated, humming in though, and ignoring Paimon. "I wasn't able to retrieve it, but it has to do with the crystal."

"Alright, let's go Paimon." The traveler smiled.

"You can't leave Paimon...." The girl started to sniffle but floated to follow the traveler.

"I'll lead you to the temple since it's hard to find," Venti stated with a smile. "I won't be able to go in with you as it's very dangerous for anyone who can't purify themselves easily. I'll be waiting on the outside of the temple for your return. And Paimon, cheer up! It will only take a bit."

⭒🟄✧🌑✧🟄⭒

Venti peaked just above a bush, spotting some hilichurls and abyss mages dancing around the vault entrance they needed to enter. The traveler and Paimon also looked over the bush as Venti sighed.

"We'll have to clear them out before entering the vault," Venti stated. "How unfortunate for you."

"Wha-! You're not gonna help!" Paimon huffed.

"It's fine, I can handle it." The traveler stated before going around the bush.

With a flash of their sword, they made quick work of the hilichurls. Venti clapped before putting his hands on his hips.

"Well done! Couldn't have done better myself." Venti smiled.

"Argh....." Paimon was growling at this point.

"Now, on to other matters." Venti stepped over to a door that was covered in weeds and plant life.

It had a symbol of a star that swirled with a mix of light and dark. However, the darkness was almost overtaking the symbol. There was very little of the white left at all. That was also, the only notable feature of the door. The rest looked to be made of plane stone.

"It looks like it's locked. Darn...." Paimon weakly pushed against it.

"I don't think we would come here without a key." The traveler deadpanned.

"You're right my friend! I, Barbatos, hold the key to enter this vault!" Venti exclaimed.

"Where did you even find it?" The traveler asked.