Chapter 13

"Can you help me do this?"

It was three days before Camille answered the calls she kept getting from Moesha and Jackie. She went to work, she came home, she locked her doors, and she stayed inside. She kept having dreams where Richard came breaking through her bedroom door in his wolf form, vibrant and impossibly huge, ready for her, and he would pin her to the bed and take her for hours and hours...

And she wanted it every time.

He never called, though. Never came to see her. Never sent her an email or a letter. He had told her to go away. Apparently, he didn't want to see her anymore. All because she had tried to get him away from the wolf.

He chose the white wolf over her. It was hard to accept.

Addicts were like that, she knew. They would give up anyone and anything in their life if it was something that interfered with their drug. Interfered with their high. Richard's drug was the wolf. He was addicted to the power and she had tried to get him to step away from it, for her. He'd made his choice. It hadn't been her.

When she answered the phone at her apartment, finally, it was Jackie who was calling. "Where you been girl?" her friend asked her. "I was so worried, Camille. You said you were going out with him and then we don't hear from you for days. What was we supposed to think?"
"Jackie, I'm fine. Okay?" Camille rolled over in bed and stared at the ceiling. "I'm fine."

"Hmph," Jackie said. "You don't sound fine."

"I'm just a little down, is all. It's been a long day." That was a lie, actually. Work at the bank had been the one thing that grounded her life right now. She was perfect for this position and she loved the new job. "I just want to catch some sleep, that's all."

"He broke up with you, didn't he?"

Camille was surprised by Jackie's question. She thought to deny it, to give her some story about why they weren't together anymore. The words died on her lips. She didn't need to tell her friends all of it, but there was no reason to lie to them, either. "Yes, sort of, I think we want different things..."

"Damn, woman." Jackie laughed softly. "I've been through it enough myself. I know what it looks like. Come out with me and Moesha. We'll go to a bar, you'll forget all about him. Promise."

"I doubt it."

"Well. You won't forget him, maybe, but we'll make it better. That's what your friends are for, right? Come on, now."

"Jackie...it's late."

She knew Jackie wouldn't accept that. "Camille, it's only nine o'clock. Plenty of time to have a few and still sleep it off before work tomorrow. It's settled. Me and Moesha will pick you up in a half hour. You better be ready."

Jackie hung up before Camille could say different. She had to smile. No matter how stupid the men in her life had been, she could always depend on her friends.

They sat down at a no name bar not even an hour later, at a table near the corner where the dim lighting was even dimmer and the pounding rhythm of techno dance music wasn't quite so overpowering. Camille hadn't exactly dressed for a night of clubbing in her jeans and blue t-shirt, but Moesha had taken the time to put on a red backless top and tight black pants and high heels that added three inches to her height. If she didn't have a man trailing her home before the night was over, Camille would have to say the world had come to an end.

"Girl," she said to Camille now, sipping something pink and fruity through a straw, "I knew that white boy was trouble. White boys always think girls like us are easy and don't respect us. You need to find yourself some nice hot chocolate to heat up your bed. Mmm. "