Chapter 29: The Start of Something New

I know that something has changed

Never felt this way and right here tonight

This could be the start of something new

#####

February 14, 1996

"I look ridiculous," Juliet scoffs and plops down on Cassie's bed.

"Stop it," Cassie scolds and sits down next to her pulling back her hair, "You look great."

"I look like a pink pom pom," Juliet retorts as she stands back up and marches over to the mirror.

Ambrose's mother heard that they were going on their first official date at school on Valentine's Day so she sent Juliet a baby pink dress with a faux fur skit and a ribbed a line top. It was a nice gesture but certainly not Juliet's style.

"I am kind of pissed that the faux skirt is working," Re states, amazed as she continues to look Juliet up and down.

"At least she didn't send you lingerie," Margie adds.

"Margot!" Cassie exclaims and places a hand over her mouth, "How scandalous."

"I'm just saying," She giggles, "It could be worse."

"You're right it could be worse," Juliet murmurs and grabs her white purse, "I gotta get going. Ciao ladies."

"Ciao!" 

#####

Juliet was biting her lip trying to divert attention from her raging migraine due to the overwhelming scent of too much cheap perfume. Like most thick headed male students of Hogwarts, Ambrose had taken Juliet to Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop. She understands it's slim pickings in Hogsmeade but Salazar this was a new low for her.

The food was halfway decent but the aroma of the cheap perfume in the air vents mixed with the bottles used on the other girls in the restaurant was too much. And the lights were so dim she had a hard time trying to read the small print of the menu. Paired with the dress she was wearing she felt utterly ridiculous.

"I got you something," Ambrose said after both had cleared their plates.

"Oh Ambrose you didn't have to," She blushes by taking the jewelry box anyway.

She carefully opens the lid and reveals a petite heart locket. She gingerly takes it out of the box and marvels at the intricate engravings and carvings. He takes it from her and gets up to put it on her.

"It's my grandmother's," Ambrose explains as he clasps it, "She gave it to my mother when she and my father got engaged and then my mother wanted me to give it to you."

"It's beautiful," Juliet gasps as she runs her finger over the design. "Thank you so much."

After some more small talk Ambrose pays for both of them and they head out to do some window shopping. As They walk the busy streets. Juliet notices Fred with a Hufflepuff a few paces up the street. If he sees her she can't tell and as they walk closer and closer together she becomes really interested in the display windows to her left. Her breath catches in her throat as Fred and his date pass her and Ambrose. She doesn't look at him but out of the corner of her eye she sees Fred's pinkie reach out to hers and it takes everything in her to resist doing the same. She takes a deep breath and his musk fills her nose, only making her migraine worse.

"Ambrose darling, do you mind if we head back?" She asks, "I have the worst headache?"

"Do we need to see Madame Pomfrey?" He asks, copping the side of her face with his hand and brushes his thumb across the side of her temple.

"No, I think I just need a lie in. I could use a cuddle buddy though," She smiles.

"As you wish love," He grins and kisses her before heading back to the castle.