Chapter 25: The One

But we were something, don't you think so?
Roaring 20s, tossing pennies in the pool
And if my wishes came true
It would've been you
In my defense, I have none
For never leaving well enough alone
But it would've been fun
If you would've been the one

#####

November 18, 1995

Juliet woke up surrounded by the faces of her Slytherin friends and Draco. She nearly screamed when Cassie had confetti erupt from her wand into her face as they all screamed Happy Birthday in unison.

"Fucking Salazar!" Juliet grumbles as she scrambles to sit up.

"It's your golden birthday," Margie smiles as Re sets a breakfast tray on her lap.

"Plus Draco here informed us that you and him are flooing out of her in two hours," Re adds, "We wanted to soak up as much time with you before the ball."

"It's too early for this," Juliet groans as she rubs her eyes.

"Eat up," Alistair grins, "We got presents to give you."

Juliet couldn't stomach much as her stomach was in knots so breakfast was rather brief before Juliet mustered herself out of bed and headed to the little common space of her dorm.  Everyone had gathered in a circle around an empty armchair, which Juliet assumed was for her.

"Merlin, it makes it seem like a throne," Juliet mutters as she takes a seat.

"Fit for the birthday queen," Ambrose chuckles and hands Juliet her gift. "Happy Birthday."

"Thank you," Juliet smiles graciously and begins digging through the gift bag.

Inside was a hardcover book, Inkheart, and a pair of sunglasses. Juliet looks at the glasses curiously and then at Ambrose, waiting for an explanation. Ambrose gives a soft smile and explains how they're to help with her dyslexia and they illuminate at night so no more straining her eyes in the dark. Her heart warmed at his thoughtfulness and gave him a quick hug before Cassie was pushing her gift into her hands. From her best friend Juliet had received a crystal butterfly hair pin, a couple candles, and a framed moving photo of the four girls from their last girl's night. Draco went next with a bag full of chocolate frogs, a monogrammed journal and some new colored quills. Alistair got her a signed Ireland Quidditch team poster and a book about quidditch strategies of a beater. Margie got Juliet an emerald cardigan, which she made herself, and some new floral perfume and Re got her a new leather jacket, which she customized to have her initials on the sleeves and instead of being only one color of the faux leather it was in different shades of green.

Juliet was thrilled with all the things she received and made sure to hug each and everyone one of them, but a small part of her was disappointed that she had not received anything from Fred. She could understand though, not wanting to have anything to do with her now that she was set to be betrothed by three.

She gathers up her gifts as she stands and bids the boys farewell, "I shall see you lovely gentleman at the ball as I still have a few things to pack. So girls, if you would care to join me..."

"Ciao boys," Cassie waves as the three girls follow Juliet.

The four are wordless as Juliet flicks the close behind them and she sets her gifts gently on the bed. Juliet swallows a hard lump as she begins taking out pieces from her jewelry box to take home.

"So did Fred get you anything?" Re asks slowly.

"I haven't seen him today," Juliet says dismissively.