Chapter 13: Meet Me in the Woods

I have seen what the darkness does
Say goodbye to who I was
I ain't never been away so long
Don't look back, them days are gone
Follow me into the endless night
I can bring your fears to life
Show me yours and I'll show you mine
Meet me in the woods tonight

#####

January 25, 1995

Juliet was having an off day, and nothing seemed to be going right. She woke up this morning and almost broke her pinky toe on the side of her chest and then was late to Charms. The rest of her professors had seemed to assign an insane amount of work all due in two days and she had received a rather strongly worded letter from her father telling her to do better.

Now she was sitting on the edge of the astronomy tower with her back resting against the wall as she started her astronomy map for class. She was so focused on getting an accurate representation on her map that she didn't hear the footsteps coming up the stairs.

"Well well well fancy seeing you out past curfew," The voice tusks teasingly.

"Bloody fucking hell you prick," Juliet exclaims and throws her pencil at the redhead and almost feels herself wobble off the ledge.

Fear seizes Fred as he rushes over to her and pulls Juliet into his chest to prevent her from tipping over the edge. Juliet squeaks as she feels herself being lifted off the cold stone ledge and is gently placed on the floor.

"I want you to fall for me princess but not like that," Fred chuckles as he moves her hair outside of her face.

"Didn't anyone ever tell you not to startle a woman on the ledge,"Juliet teases as the tries to smooth out her wrinkled paper.

"Can I ask you a question?" Fred asks, sitting criss-cross across from her.

"Sure."

"What's that ring you always wear? I notice all you girls have one. Is it a pure blood aristocratic thing?"

"This?" Juliet asks, holding up her right hand and wiggling her ring finger.

"Yeah."

"Well to answer part of your question it isn't a pureblood aristocratic thing. It's actually a muggle tradition. Irish. Usually given as a gift to someone who means a lot to you. Margie's mum got her one when she turned 11. And Margie thought she'd get us all one. We all have our birthstones in it, that's why mine is a topaz. The ring is symbolic when you wear it on you right hand and the heart faces out it means your heart is open, or single, if it's faced to you that means your heart is closed, you're dating someone. And then if it's on you left hand out means engaged and in is married." Juliet explains.

"Well Margie is an awful nice friend to do that for you," Fred states, thinking about how much it costs makes his brain hurt.

"Well she felt bad. Margie looked at Alistair and Draco, the first born sons of all the Slytherin families wearing several rings. On most guys they have a signet ring on their pinky, with their initials and family crest. Then for the more prestigious they have another dark thick ring, usually worn on a middle finger with the family crest that they get when they're 15 and is usually only worn by them, their wife, and gets passed down to the heir. Then of course old snotty pureblood men love their heirloom rings so they wear whatever other ones they want. My brother in particular likes to wear a silver snake on his right thumb, and his signet on his right pinky and next year he'll get the family crest one. On his left pointer he wears a ring. I got him black and simple and on the inside it just has coco and juju written on it."