Chapter 4.28 - Experimental Surgery / Venture 10

Start from the beginning

"So, are you gonna tell us about that explosion or what?" Cherry asked, mouthing the word explosion.

Emmett looked to Clara, wondering just how much he was allowed to talk about.

She answered for him. "That was nothing. Just Mod using his newest gadget to take down a monstrosity."

There was a mix of gasps and open-mouthed stares on the other end, but Max just rolled his eyes.

"Of course, he took down a monstrosity. He probably did it blindfolded and with both arms tied behind his back. Really, at this point I'm not impressed unless he beats a Class five villain."

Cherry nudged him. "Don't be jealous."

"Me? Jealous?" Max blew a raspberry.

Krystal glanced at both of them through the camera. "So, when are you coming over to hang out?"

Emmett and Clara shared another glance. "Probably not for a day or two," Emmett replied. "I'm still recovering..."

A flash of dejection spread across the group, but they managed it well.

Krystal said, "That's probably best. You two should take some time to rest. Just don't forget about us."

"No way," Clara replied. "Don't forget about us, either."

Max, Cherry, Krystal, and Larian all waved, and then the screen went blank. At the end, the only one that looked dejected was Max.

Silence followed.

Clara wrapped her arms around Emmett's chest and hugged him tightly. "Why did you lie to them? Why didn't you tell them the real reason you wouldn't be around for a couple days?"

The questions hadn't come out accusatory, but they still made Emmett wince. He hugged her back and rested his head against hers.

"I don't know. Just didn't want to worry them, I guess. Didn't want to worry Max more than he already is."

Emmett chuckled. Clara didn't.

"Just promise you won't go pushing us away?"

"Yeah. Of course not. ...You think I would?"

Clara looked up at him. "It's kind of what happens with supers. I mean, look at my dad."

He couldn't imagine pushing away Clara or his friends. They were in this together. Then again, how often did people try to push away their friends? Things like that just kind of happened, or that's how it seemed to Emmett, at least.

Finally, Emmett nodded. "I promise. I promise I won't go pushing you guys away."

~ ~

Experimental surgery in the middle of the night or in the middle of a war wasn't the best timing, but Venture was willing to make an exception.

For the second time that day, Emmett was back in the immersion tank of the medbay. He was already sedated and floating in the middle of the tank. The saline mixture was regulated to keep him suspended, comfortable, and to moderate his body temperature, should it be needed. Several hanging arms administered injections to Emmett's neck and along his spine.

Originally, the surgery was only going to target Emmett's brain, but Venture and TINA had elected to expand it. Nanites would change Emmett's brain tissue from organic to synthetic, but they wouldn't stop there.

They would follow his spinal column, changing his nerves as well. Once his spinal cord was synthetic, the nanites would flow outward to his limbs and organs. The process would take the better part of twenty-four hours—longer than originally anticipated—but by the end, every nerve in Emmett's body would be synthetic.