Chapter 1.1.5 - ATTENTION

The next morning, Emmett was watching the rooftops pass by from the bus window when he saw a missed call from his mom. He must've missed it ringing.

He checked the voicemail.

"Hi Emmett, just calling to say hi and see how you were doing. We're talking about getting together one of these Sundays. Antony has a couple of weekends off from their games. Darryl is figuring out when the grandkids are free. We would love for you to be there too. Text me when would be a good weekend for you to visit. Love you."

Emmett sighed. Classes and work kept him busy, and there were few breaks that lined up for the whole family. He hadn't imagined how little he would see everyone once he and his older brother, Darryl, moved out. And it still frequently blew his mind that he was an uncle. His nieces and nephews grew so much every time he saw them—it even felt like his siblings and his parents were changing each time.

Emmett put a reminder in his phone to check his schedule when he got back to the apartment, then texted his mom back.

Emmett 10:24 AM: On the bus. I'll check my classes and call you when I get home. Love you Ma

He pocketed his phone and went back to staring out the window and at the passing rooftops.

Emmett was sure that Dr. Venture would give him time off if he needed it. He just wasn't sure how much he could afford to take off with classes still going.

Either way, Emmett would make time.

~

On Tuesdays, Emmett had Statistics and his last elective, Modern Government and Applied History. They actually weren't bad—in fact, they were easy compared to Monday and Wednesday.

If anything, Emmett actually enjoyed history class. It was a nice brain break, even if it wasn't his first choice for an elective.

Both classes passed in a blur—

Except for Allison catching him after history. She waited for class to end and for him to walk past her row.

"Hey, Emmett," she said, brushing long brown hair behind her ear and walking beside him, high heels clacking on the floor.

"Hey," was all he could respond.

"So... I was wondering if you wanted to get together tonight and study?"

Emmett's mind went suddenly blank. There was something he had to do tonight—Emmett knew this. What was it?

Then an image hit him—Dr. Venture waiting expectantly for Emmett to arrive before they started the evening's experiments.

"I can't," he stammered. "I have work tonight."

"Oh, well, maybe another night then."

"Yeah," Emmett replied.

Allison gave him a small smile and walked off to join her friends, leaving Emmett walking alone down the hall, listening to the receding clack of her heels.

Allison was just talking about studying, right?

The image of Dr. Venture waiting for him came back—the doctor and Clara.

Maybe Emmett was reading into things.

Emmett looked back over his shoulder at Allison's group—and met Allison's eyes as she glanced back at him, too.

He turned back around, and muttered, "Shit." He was never any good at this stuff.

~

Later on the bus from campus to Eastside, Emmett texted Lock.