They've Got a Lot of Explaining To Do

Emily sits nervously in the backseat of the London Cab, Lucy beside her as they speed through the busy streets of London. ‘Ok. First day on the Bohemian Rhapsody set, we’re heading to Bovingdon-’

‘We’re going to be late!’ Lucy panics, her coffee stirring in her travel mug. ‘And on the first day!’ 

‘Luc, I’ve got the schedule under control. We are going to be fine.’ 

‘I knew we should’ve gone to a hotel.’ Lucy continues, fiddling with the coffee lid. 

‘Listen to me.’ Emily grabs her free hand, stroking it gently. ‘I’ve scheduled the time, I’ve spoken to Bryan. It’s all going to be fine.’ She lets go with a smile and a nod, returning to her emails on her phone. Glancing at her watch, she tries to not let Lucy's frantic energy affect her. 'It's 8:30, we still have plenty of time,' 

As they approach the film set, Emily can feel her nerves building. Knowing she only had one chance to make a good first impression, she wanted to be as organised and as undistracted as possible. Not wanting to let Lucy down.

Lucy bursts out of the car the moment it stops. Emily quickly follows, trying to keep up with Lucy's long strides. ‘Lucy, we need to head straight to hair and makeup where Bryan will meet you.’ The pair head towards the hair and makeup trailer, passing various crew members and keen extras. 

As she looks around the trailer, Emily can’t help but smile at the bustling activity. Lucy sits in the makeup chair, her face already being worked on by the talented makeup artist, while her hair is styled by another, matching her character, Mary Austin. 

Taking a seat on a spare chair, Emily watches the conversation between Lucy and the makeup artist flow effortlessly. She couldn't help but feel a bit out of place, being just a lowly assistant. But she’s determined to do her best and make a good impression. Just then, a tall man with a beard and glasses walks in. Emily instantly recognises him as the director, Bryan Singer. 

'Good morning everyone!' Bryan greets them with a warm smile. 'I hope you're all ready to rock!' 

Lucy giggles at his enthusiasm and nods. 'Definitely, Bryan. I'm excited.’ Bryan smiles and looks over to Emily. ‘Emily, good to see you again.’ He smiles, holding his hand out in front of her. ‘Good to see you again, Bryan.’ She smiles, shaking his hand. 

‘As you know,’ He begins, stepping away from Emily, ‘today we are beginning the big Live Aid concert scene and we have both Brian and Roger joining us today.’ Emily perks up at the names of the famous musicians, a smile building on her face. ‘So, they are here today to help with the authenticity of the performance from the boys.’ 

Oh yes the boys. Emily had yet to meet them but from what she hears, they are something else. 

Emily could feel her face flushing with excitement and she couldn't stop smiling. She quickly gets up and helps Lucy get ready for the first scene. As the makeup artist applies the finishing touches, the two women chat about the script and the upcoming scene. Emily could see why Lucy was such a likeable actress but an even better bestfriend. She’s so down to earth and easy to talk to, despite her rising fame. 

‘You’ve met the boys haven’t you.’ Emily asks, reaching for the glass of water sitting on the edge of one of the tables, taking a delicate sip. 

‘Yes.’ She smiles, a slight blush raising her cheeks. ‘And Rami, he’s playing Freddie, he’s absolutely gorgeous.’ The makeup artists chuckle as they powder her cheeks.

Once they apply the finishing touches on Lucy's face and leaves, she turns to Emily, 'So Emily, what actually happened on your flight? You've been acting a bit strange since you got back.'

Emily's heart skips a beat. She had been hoping that Lucy wouldn't ask about her flight, again, but it seems like she can’t escape it now. She tries to play it cool and replies, 'Oh, nothing out of the ordinary. Just some turbulence.'

Lucy could see through her lie. 'Come on, spill the beans. I know something happened. You're not known for being a nervous flyer.' 

‘I’ve told you before, it was an average flight.’ 

Lucy looks at her with a knowing smirk, trying to get something out of the poor girl. Emily takes a deep breath and decides to come clean. 'Well, I did meet someone on the flight. A boy.'

Lucy's eyes widens with excitement. 'Ooh, a boy? Tell me more!'

Emily blushes and begins to tell Lucy about the boy she had met on the plane. The phone charger, the meal, the movie and a meal, the close calls, his appearance, it all. ‘And I waited but there was no sign of him.’ 

Lucy couldn't contain her laughter. 'That's it? You were acting all nervous and secretive for just meeting a cute boy on a plane?' She tucks her blue stripy jumper into her jeans, a smile on her face.  

‘Well I don’t exactly know his last name, or have his phone number.’ Emily chuckles, nervously, placing the glass back on the table. ‘I’m probably never going to see him again.’

'Maybe he'll show up on set one day. You never know,' Lucy says optimistically, causing Emily's heart to flutter. ‘Ha, ha. Very funny.’ She jokes before a knock is placed at the trailer door. 

‘Lucy, you’re ready on set.’ A young runner tells her, dressed in all black. Emily nods, jumping up from her seat ready to go, grabbing her notes, making sure everything was in order before following Lucy. She could feel a few butterflies in her stomach as she enters the stage, the set designed to replicate the iconic Live Aid concert. 

Lost in awe, Emily doesn’t notice Bryan approaching her, until he clears his throat. 'Emily, is our stunning Mary ready?’ 

Emily quickly snaps out of her daze, nodding as she follows Bryan to the stage. ‘Right, Emily. Quick introductions before we begin, this is Rami,’ He points at the man wearing a white vest, resembling Freddie Mercury. Emily shakes his hand with a smile, noticing Lucy’s attractions towards him. ‘This is Gwilym,’ A young man with massive, curly hair struts over, a red guitar in his arms. Obviously playing Brian.

‘Nice to meet you.’ He smiles, shaking her hand. 

‘This weird man over here is Joe,’ Bryan continues waving over an over energetic, young man, his hair bouncing on his head. ‘I’m not weird.’ Joe chuckles, ‘Just different.’ 

‘That’s what I like to hear.’ Emily chuckles, watching as he runs over to the final guy, his back towards her. They whisper together as he slowly turns round. ‘And finally, Ben.’ 

Ben. The name itself strikes her as the long haired, blonde man walks over. Emily's heart skips a beat as she recognizes him to be the same man Ben she’d met on the plane. Surprised and a bit flustered, she manages to compose herself and greet him with a smile. ‘Ben.’ She can’t contain her smile as she holds her hand out. 

His smile widens as he recognises her, instantly bringing her in for a hug, causing the cast to stare in confusion. Emily moves back, noticing the looks for around them. 

They’ve got a lot of explaining to do.