Four Minutes

Everyday is the worst day of the year to travel through John.F Kennedy International Airport. Over 193000 passengers arrive and depart that day, causing, on average, 23 minute delays at check-in and a peak wait time of 117 minutes at security.

'Excuse me!' A young woman, in her early twenties shouts as she plummets through crowds of people, pulling her bright yellow suitcase behind her. 'Sorry!' She yells as she knocks a coffee from an elderly man's hands. 'Excuse me!'

'Watch it, Lady!' Another woman shouts as she flies past. 'I'm late!'

'Aren't we all.' Another gentleman in her way calls, shaking his head at her.

Growing closer to her gate the young woman speeds up, noticing the check in agent slowly typing in her computer. 'Wait! Please, I'm here!'

'I'm sorry, Miss. You're too late.' The check in agent apologised before continuing with her work. The young woman sighs as she watches, thinking about what to do next.

'Is there anything you can do?' She asks the uniformed agent, a queue of people slowly building behind her. 'The best thing we can do is get you on the next flight.' She tells her continuing to tap away. The young woman watches, anxiously. 'There are two seats left.' Perking her head up, the young woman nods, 'one in economy, one in business.'

'Perfect!' She slightly shouts, catching the attention from the other passengers around them. 'Sorry. When does that leave?'

'Hour and a half.' The agent tells her before looking back at her computer. 'Arrives in London at 9:55am'

'I need to be there by noon.'

'Do you need time to think about it?' The young woman exhales slightly before reaching into her pocket, grabbing her phone. 'Can you give me a sec?' The agent stares at her, blankly. 'I'll just be, one second.'

Stepping to the side slightly she dials her phone, allowing it to ring before starting to talk. 'Hey, Lucy, I missed my flight... it's ok I'm getting on the next available one... Yes, I'll be there in time... I know, I know... Perfect. I'll see you then... Yes, I'll phone you when I land... thank you... bye, bye.' Putting the phone down, the young woman turns back to the agent, smiling.

'One economy ticket to London, please.' The passenger behind sigh in annoyance. Grabbing the ticket off the agent, she smiles wider. 'Thank you, thanks.' She apologises to the queue before taking off with her bag and suitcase.

Marching over to the charging station, she grabs an empty stall before pulling out her charger, ready to charge her phone. 'Oh, it's dead.' Another young woman with red hair tells her, pulling her headphones down around her neck. 'That's why it's open.'

'Course it is.' She mutters under her breath, unimpressed. 'What?' The red haired lady asks, looking up at her. 'Nothing. Nevermind.' She smiles, crouching down away from the girl, returning her cable to her bag.

'You can borrow mine if you want.' A young man, also in his early twenties with a thick British accent, similar to hers, leans down, his charger in his hand. Looking up, the young woman locks her eyes with his emerald green eyes, chuckling awkwardly. A moment passes as the two stare.

'Sorry, I don't share electronics till the third date.' The young woman chuckles, biting her lip slightly.

'Okay.' The young man chuckles back, 'No, I suppose it is quite intimate.' The two laugh as she rises from the floor, humming in agreement. 'Yeah, I'm done, if you wanna use it.' He says before turning back to his laptop.

'Oh, uh thanks.' She laughs, taking the cable from him, plugging it into her phone. 'Battery keeps dying.'

'It probably just needs a service.'