Chapter 7

Maha

I was getting ready to go to my parents house with Asfandyaar. It was the fourth day since my Ruksati and I was settling in. I chose a red and black dress pairing it with golden heels and some light makeup. I was still not talking to Asfandyaar though I did have the feeling that I was being too harsh. Maybe things between us could work out. He was genuinely trying to apologise for what he did.

I stared into the mirror, wondering what to do with my hair. I was never too good with hairstyles and I was so not in the mood to straighten my hair. Asfandyaar came out of the washroom and locked eyes with me in the mirror. He was wearing black too, what a coincidence, my mind thought sarcastically.

"Ready?" He asked.

"My hair."

"What about your hair?" He was now directly standing behind me, our eyes still holding contact.

"I don't know what to do about them." My heart threatened to explode from the fast bumping. Asfandyaar casually entangled his hands in my hair as I drew in breaths with difficulty. I stood there like a statue as Asfandyaar worked with my long hair. His veiny hands delicately moved around as his eyes were fully focused.

He stepped back and I turned around to view my hair which were now in a beautiful French braid. I stared at my hair, rooted to the spot, remembering when I was six and arguing with my mother to make my hair into a French braid because I absolutely loved it. Asfandyaar was there laughing and told me he would learn to make a French braid for me so I need not be sad.

I wondered if this was a coincidence or Asfandyaar really remembered. My heart fluttered and I tried to hide my blush. I decided not to ask him beacuse after all some things are best left unspoken.

Masking my amusement I said, "Wow, thank you, Asfandyaar."

"Asfi, you can call me Asfi." He said slightly smiling.

"Let's go?" I asked.

Moving towards the dressing table, Asfandyaar took out the ring from my jewellery box that he had given to me on the Nikkah. He always wore his matching one. He took my hand in his and immediately my body heated and adrenaline rushed through my veins. He put the ring slowly through my ring finger while his other hand drew circles on my palm. My insides told me to remove my hand from his grasp, but I stood there enjoying the feel of his hand on mine.

After all he was my husband. I had a right to enjoy life with him. If only he had told me the truth beforehand. Quiet reluctantly, Asfandyaar released my hand and by now my ears were red. He nodded towards the door and I followed him out.

We spent the whole day at my parents house as the happy couple we weren't. On our way back, it was late night with the moon a bright ball.

"Do you miss your parents?" Asfandyaar tried a conversation.

"Obviously." I was least interested.

"Maha."

"What?" I was looking outside the window at the passing cars so I snapped. I turned around to face him and he stopped the car looking at me intently.

"I didn't mean to I-"

"Doesn't matter." He gave one of his weak, broken smiles that made my heart lurch.

He opened the door of the car and exited. I sat confused. A moment later, the door to my side opened too and I found Asfandyaar's hand stretched out in front of me. I took his hand and he pulled me out, closing the door behind me. The cool wind blew my hair on my face and Asfandyaar immediately moved them away from my eyes, brushing his hands all across my face. A smile formed on my lips as he held my hand and we walked into the empty park.

It was dark and abandoned with the hooting of owls and crunching of leaves under our feet as the only sign of life.

"Scared?" He asked.

"Not when you're around." Escaped my lips. Asfandyaar stared at me and I quickly said, "I mean I'm not scared of the dark." Embarrassment rushed through me and I broke eye contact immediately.

He nodded and we headed towards the bench and sat down, his hand still wrapped around mine, making my blood rush and body nervous. At that moment, my wildest desires came into action and I let go of all that held me behind and put my head on Asfandyaar's shoulder. I had a right to some happiness after all the gloominess in life. I wanted to for once feel like what it was to be married.

Asfandyaar gave me a side eye but then left my hand and wrapped it around my shoulder, snuggling me closer. His musky scent enriched my nostrils as he rested his head on top of mine. The feeling of having someone, the thought of somebody so close filled my body with an eerie calm. I looked up and our eyes met, and a dimple formed on the corner of his cheek, making my heart flutter and lips turn into a smile.

It was just temporary, probably fake too. But I let my heart loose nevertheless. Some moments were worth it and this was definitely one of them. We sat there quietly for a while, letting the cool breeze calm our insides. After a long while, I lifted my head and our eyes met, increasing the intensity between us.

"Home?" Asfandyaar asked and I nodded. We got up and walked towards the car with a few inches of distance between us reminding us of the harsh reality. That's how it was always going to be, unless I lessened the distances between us. But did Asfandyaar really deserve a second chance?

Asfandyaar stopped near the car and faced me. He put an arm on my back and pulled me close to him so that we inhaled each other's scents. He then held my cheeks with both of his soft palms making me nervous yet electricity zipped through me at the contact.His brown eyes filled with emotions bore into my confused ones. "I truly am sorry Maha. And I'll make it up to you, however you want. I didn't mean to hurt you so bad, janeman."